Dogs scared off a Coyote

Electric fencing need regular repairs and maintenance to keep the grass off it, and deer regularly break it running through. It's actually a high maintenance fencing and goat learn how to get out of it when it is shorting out.

I believe the OP said he/she has an acre or less... Hotwire is a good option for all animals. Also, coyotes are very hard to trap, I wouldn't waste my time on that, but it's definitely worth a try if you are set on killing at this point. Please at least consider the fencing, but if not, kill the coyote humanely and quickly, good luck and keep us posted.

The app is acting up won't let me add a photo. The pallets are 4foot tall and the welded wire is 5 foot tall. The goat house is also made out of pallets with a tin roof.

The chickens have a small door they can sneak through to get to the goat area and another small door to get to the one acre yard. Both doors I can close at any time. The doors are too small the goats to sneak through. They're maybe 1x1 foot.

Now that I've described my hobby farm in detail.... Should I get myself a trap??

I'm almost wondering if the coyotes are coming around because my 70lbs male dog was recently fixed and has less juice in his urine.

We are in the country with neighbors within 1/4 mile and I would guess about half of the homes around here have chickens. The nearest chickens and goats are not far at all. Also cows donkeys and horses. All types of small farms. Are they dealing with coyotes?

There's a guy 6 houses up the hill that has a few acres and probably 20 goats and no electric fencing from what I can tell. I walked passed today.

Trapping is probably more trouble than it's worth, IMHO. Aid it possible for you to get a livestock guardian animal? Donkey, llama, alpaca, Great Pyrenees, etc., if you don't want to invest time and money into electric or Hotwire fencing. Good luck and keep us posted.

Well I'm sitting outside and I can hear coyotes howling from all different directions. The dogs don't seem to care at all. I moved from the city 2 years ago is this normal?

If we got s donkey we'd have to fence in the acre I'm guessing. At that point I'm better off getting rid of the goats because it's not with the money.

I have donkeys, they are hit and miss with coyotes and mine will actually go after my goats as well so not just any donkey will do what you want it to, and they need all kinds of care as well.

Last edited:
You are going to sell your goats? I don't think that is necessary yet. If they are fenced in with electric fencing they should be okay. As for the chickens, I reccomend either electric poultry netting, Hotwire, or a fenced in yard. It really depends though. Are your chickens your main source of income? If so, it is necessary to protect them in a practical, inexpensive way. If you can afford it, poultry netting is extremely helpful. I know I'm repeating myself, but I cannot stress it enough in this case. It helps prevent attacks from coyotes, foxes, raccoons, skunks, weasel, mink, fisher cats, stray cats and dogs, and even humans trying to steal chickens. It will be so helpful in the long term that you will wish you had it earlier almost for sure. No more chicken losses and the coyotes are free to roam and eat wildlife, not your animals. I truly hope you find a good solution and get to keep your animals, especially your goats. Have you thought about an enclosed space for them? Maybe with roofing and electric fencing for walls? Once again, good luck.

Back
Top Bottom