Dogs scared off a Coyote

I've got no problem shooting it. But I don't have all day to sit out there and wait for it to come back. I also don't have a rifle smaller than a 308 so I'm working with a shotgun or a hand gun. I'm still thinking I'll pick up a trap and see what happens. There's a perfect spot for one between my yard and the beans which is exactly where I saw him running off. My dogs can't get to it they're on invisible fence.

A 308 will do it. And you can make sure your on for deer season to. Shotgun will take care of anything in your yard though. Hope you get it. I lost 6 out of 7 goats last year. Grrr

Only trouble with 308 is if you have close neighbors ... Be sure of what is beyond the target.

#4 buckshot or #2 birdshot will work on coyotes ... Full or extra full chokes help with range.

Yeah the 308 is way too much gun for this situation it's a rem 700 tacticle set up for deer season. I've got the 20 gauge at the back door and may go sit in a lawn chair near the area I saw the coyote when I get home from work. The chickens are locked away in their run with a net roof. The goats seem nervous.

#3 buckshot out of that choice ... I have a Beretta too, a 12!

ETA - or did you mean 3" buckshot? If so any size buckshot is better than the other two choices ... #4's have lots of pellets ... Easier to hit with a bunch in the air ... ;)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom