Doing the chicken shuffle

Caitenji

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 13, 2012
Northeast Missouri
I haven't had any chickens for about 15 years, so I could really use some advice.

I currently have 7 chicks (6 weeks old) who have been residing happily in the outdoor coop for the last two weeks. Of the 7, it looks like I'm only keeping 3 (1 EE, 1 BR, 1 bantam cochin). The other 4 (2 EE, 2 bantam cochin) are almost certainly roos. I'm planning on keeping them all until they are 8 weeks just to make sure, lol. I also have 9 chicks (2 weeks old -- 6 SF, 1PR, 1NHR, 1 Polish) still in the brooder. I would like to move them out to the coop with the older chicks when they are 4 weeks old.

So, my question is, in two weeks when I find my 8 week old cockerels new homes, would that be the ideal time to introduce the 9 younger chicks to the 3 older ones remaining? Since there are only 4 weeks age difference between them, I wasn't sure if I still need to do very slow introductions or not? Thoughts? Is 8 weeks a good age to send my roos to new homes?

Thanks!!

Being only eight weeks and out numbered i do not think there would be a big problem. If you move the older one in with the younger ones, There will be sort of a balance. The older ones bigger and stronger, the younger ones numbers and home field. I would definitely watch to see all goes well. You could give the alleged roosters away now, but you need to know for sure they are.

It might be the ideal time, taking out the roos will upset the flock dynamics, and by introducing the new ones, only one upset. Get it over with. I would do some hidey places in the run, or some type of barrier where littler chicks can get away from the bigger ones, but if you do it in the dark of night, you might get away with no problem at all.

Back
Top Bottom