Dominance, Shyness, and Eggs

Jucodeo

The Sky is Falling!
Jun 15, 2016
Holland Patent, New York
My Coop
My Coop
So I just got my chickens yesterday and thought it would be good to join a forum to get advice on them. My first issue I ran into was a dominance issue. We have 5 hens and 1 roosters. We have a barred knox, minorca, easter eggor, Rhode island red, copper head (forgot the name but copper feathers and feathers along feet). Also we have regular rooster. The dominance is lying with the Rhode Island Red and the Barred Knox. Since these are hens I was surprised to see them being dominate to other chickens even the rooster. The rooster just pecks at females primarily because I am assuming he is trying to mate. The cooper head one is very shy and always runs away when you try to get near her. She never goes in the top part of the coop and is always confined to the bottom where it is hard to make contact. They have not layed a egg yet it has only been 12 hours so I am assuming they will lay one soon. Also the Rhode Island Red and the Barred Knox are inseparable they are always with each-other. Just this morning they made nests next to each other. When I was feeding them bread the Rhode Island and the Barred were very dominate in pushing others away. Even when the rooster got a piece he ran for the hills. The cooper head wont even go near those 2. I think it may be because the Rhode Island and Barred are 13 months while the others including the rooster are 3.5 months. I think since the rooster is smaller he is not being dominate to the larger ones yet. Thank you for your support with this question!
Justin
thumbsup.gif

Just because they are girls does not mean they will not be dominant. In the chicken world everyone has a place in the flock.

Your rooster will soon come around,and begin showing the hens good foods,treats,etcI thought you said they weren'tlaying?.

I know they can not lay eggs they just haven't laid any eggs yet. I was observing them since i posted and have seen some improvement. I fed some bread which is a popular treat and they liked it a lot. My copper one seems to be able to get some bread and not as afraid as the other chickens. The rooster is still taking food and running. The Easter Eggor is spending more time in the top portion of the coop. So is the Minorca. They have not made use of the nesting ground and most of their activity resides in the bottom portion. I will post more info as it comes. Thank you for replying!
Justin
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom