Dominant hen not allowing pullets to roost?

Chickenclaw

Songster
Mar 4, 2019
Australia, Vic
Hello,

I bought two pullets a fortnight ago to introduce with two hens in my current flock. The pullets avoid the hens during the day as the dominant hen pecks them away and chases them sometimes.

The problem I’m worried about is between the hens and the pullets at dusk where the hens go to roost. The pullets want to join them but are always pecked out by the dominant hen and have to sleep in the enclosed outside area every night where they are safe. Is there anything I can do to help the pullets transition in with the hens, or is it just too early to expect cooperation?

Is there anything I can do to help the pullets transition in with the hens, or is it just too early to expect cooperation?
The pullets won't fully integrate into the flock until they start laying.
Having a separate and slightly lower roost for the youngsters should help alleviate trouble during the most contentious time of the day - RoostTimeRumble.

This isn’t my chicken coop, but it looks almost exactly like this one. One of the adult hens sleeps in the nesting box (she has short legs and a wide body) and the dominant hen either sleeps next to her or on the roost. I put the ramp up on one side with bricks to create a perch for the pullets in the outside section covered by a tarp at night. The pullets are around 12 weeks old so they still have sometime before they will lay.

I want to get a divider for the coop, but I can’t find one anywhere so it would be great if anyone knew where to get one.

Hello,

I bought two pullets a fortnight ago to introduce with two hens in my current flock. The pullets avoid the hens during the day as the dominant hen pecks them away and chases them sometimes.

The problem I’m worried about is between the hens and the pullets at dusk where the hens go to roost. The pullets want to join them but are always pecked out by the dominant hen and have to sleep in the enclosed outside area every night where they are safe. Is there anything I can do to help the pullets transition in with the hens, or is it just too early to expect cooperation?
I would sneak pulleys in at night that what did and then check on the constantly the first hour usally they will be fine

This isn’t my chicken coop, but it looks almost exactly like this one. One of the adult hens sleeps in the nesting box (she has short legs and a wide body) and the dominant hen either sleeps next to her or on the roost. I put the ramp up on one side with bricks to create a perch for the pullets in the outside section covered by a tarp at night. The pullets are around 12 weeks old so they still have sometime before they will lay.

I want to get a divider for the coop, but I can’t find one anywhere so it would be great if anyone knew where to get one.
You need a bigger coop.

7288E2F2-8F43-4BB9-A03A-A526B466A2D1.jpeg

1st image two bantam hens
2nd image two standard sized pullets

Attachments

• 97B758F9-A6B5-4105-8B66-B7FD9017646B.jpeg
    97B758F9-A6B5-4105-8B66-B7FD9017646B.jpeg
    593.3 KB · Views: 1
If the coop you linked is the EXACT same size as yours, it's far too small for the number of birds. Since the 2 old birds knew each other and got along, you didn't have issues before, but integration takes extra space, which there simply isn't any.

To turn it from 2 small "boxes" (tiny coop above tiny run) into 1 bigger "box" you'll want to remove as much of the inside coop wall as possible, plus the floor. Take out the old roosts too.

Nests might be able to stay as is, or may need to be relocated elsewhere or replaced - depends on the structure of the coop and how things inside stack up once done.

Run a new roost(s) lengthwise or widthwise across the newly open space, depending on how much roost is needed. Ideally you’d like 12” per bird but 10” can suffice in many cases.

Board up some of the external wire walls so that the roost area is protected from winds and rain. Do NOT fully cover up all the wire, you need ventilation and natural light, so at the very least a few inches under the roofline should remain open. If your climate allows for it, you can leave entire walls open with just the mesh, or make it convertible for the season by covering up open walls for winter, and then uncovering for summer.

Example of a modified prefab: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-renovated-prefab-coop.1440258/

Get a piece of cardboard to divide the roost into two parts, by making a hole in the cardboard that the roost can fit through will allow you to move the cardboard and anchor it in place. A good piece of gorilla tape to hold it where you want it. The cardboard will be enough of a shield to prevent pecking on the roost, it should be 18 inches-24 inches above the roost, about 40-50 cm.

Let the older birds go to roost, then slide the cardboard towards them, making room for the roost on the other side. If each older bird picks a different side, just move one of the so that you have the two established birds together on one side.

This you can do today. But more chickens is not always better. In those darling little set ups it can really get ugly. If you are going to keep all 4 birds, you need more space. We get people with this type of coop all the time, expecting it to fit 6 chickens, and they don't. Crowded chickens make for very ugly behavior.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom