Dominate White Mutation or Something Else?

Paint. Dark skin
0A6950C0-3BE1-495E-8C34-6D3BE5CEBC4A.jpeg
655577F4-552E-477B-A7F1-EB30AA832FC7.jpeg
black feather comparison
00B622FD-2594-412E-A6C2-7CE2B09F8097.jpeg
face
9FC751E8-14FD-47D7-BA28-E763888B4316.jpeg
Crop
1DA1E81A-86D2-4B01-93C6-3B1B7F244E1E.jpeg
under wing

Attachments

• D448D148-7D22-468D-AC57-99EB490E39DE.jpeg
    D448D148-7D22-468D-AC57-99EB490E39DE.jpeg
    561.5 KB · Views: 1
This is late to the conversation, but I wanted to put this out there for consideration!

I've been working with silkied Cochins for a few years now and heard stories of this even before experiencing it. Silkied feathering can be super tricky with the blue dilution. I've heard more than one story of someone buying what they think are Black Silkies, only to find out they're actually Blue when they hatch Splash babies out of them. Many of my silkied Cochins are Blue, but dark enough that it's hard to tell they're Blue at first glance, to the point that, especially in my boys, some even have beetle green sheen. This is a group of my pullets from last year's hatches, both Blues and Blacks pictured, just as an example of how tough they can be to tell apart at times.

the struggle.jpg

To my eye, especially in those closer pictures of him, I think your rooster is blue instead of black, and the chick in question is just, itself, blue as well.

This is late to the conversation, but I wanted to put this out there for consideration!
Thanks so much for taking the time to respond.
I've been working with silkied Cochins for a few years now and heard stories of this even before experiencing it. Silkied feathering can be super tricky with the blue dilution. I've heard more than one story of someone buying what they think are Black Silkies, only to find out they're actually Blue when they hatch Splash babies out of them. Many of my silkied Cochins are Blue, but dark enough that it's hard to tell they're Blue at first glance, to the point that, especially in my boys, some even have beetle green sheen. This is a group of my pullets from last year's hatches, both Blues and Blacks pictured, just as an example of how tough they can be to tell apart at times.
There’s barely a difference in color, wow! So if any of my solid white growouts turns into splash 🙈 then I’ll know for sure what color my hen is too. Yeah sometimes he looks darker and sometimes a little washed out but still has that green sheen. I’m going to grow this batch of misfits out, the hen took months to grow any spots. I love when a chicken has a feather pattern that is always changing.

I have a paint rooster that I’m going to try this year, unfortunately he has champagne leakage… one step at a time.

As for my black/ blue cockbird, I might just use him for a cross breed project, at least he has white skin. 🤣🤣🤣 gotta laugh about somethings to keep from getting frustrated.

Funny side note, a few of my older serama pullets got bred by some hatchery quality silkie cockerels. Only three eggs are being sat on but at this point, why the cluck not! Worse case is they don’t hatch or I end up with an adorable satin with a small crest, stray leg feathers that carries a mottled gene.
Your Cochins are absolutely beautiful. I love fluffy, fuzzy chickens!
To my eye, especially in those closer pictures of him, I think your rooster is blue instead of black, and the chick in question is just, itself, blue as well.
Thank you

View attachment 3732821

*squints tryna work out which are blue*
Are there four in that picture?
I remember my blue Silkie being really dark too.
I don’t think she was quite that dark though.

*squints tryna work out which are blue*
Are there four in that picture?
I remember my blue Silkie being really dark too.
I don’t think she was quite that dark though.

7 Blues and 2 Blacks. ;) The one center-right and the one at the lower right are the only Black ones in the picture.

Back
Top Bottom