Dominique or Barred Rock??

I saw the rooster and he definitely had a rose comb. The only thing I remember about the hens is that they all had bald spots on their backs.
We went back today and bought 2 of his older chicks (which I am guessing to be about 6 - 7 weeks old) and made sure to take a good look at the hens' combs while we were there. They looked odd for sure (all 6 or so of them). They were narrow and kind of tall like a single comb. But, they were split at the top into two rows. They didn't have definite spikes like a single comb. Both sides were wavy-ish with kinda of like rounded knobs. I can't describe them very well. I wish I would of thought about taking a picture of them. That would have been much easier.

I'll try to get a good pic of our two newest additions and post them tomorrow.

Barred rock because they have singlecombs while a dominique has a rose comb.
thumbsup.gif

Dominique has a rose comb which is only one comb but it is shorter and has bumpy texture like coral or the petal ends of a rose bud instead of the slender, tall, spikey appearance of the single comb, donned by the Barred Rock. The Rose comb doesn't look like a fancy Mohawk, but more like a military cap with a pompidor brow and a pointy back. Google Rose Comb and click image

I ordered Dominique from Meyer Hatchery and got some short and long single comb chickens mixed in with my Rose comb chickens. I think I have barred rock and Dominique but we won't know until we see if any off the eggs are cuckoo marans brown.
big_smile.png

KatD
Texas

Back
Top Bottom