Dominique???

tofumama

Songster
10 Years
Aug 12, 2009
In the Shadow of a Mountain MA
I bought this lovely gal(guy) at a chicken swap in June. I was told it was a 4wk old Bantam Dominique hen. FOR SURE, that is what it is. Well...I am not so sure. No crowing yet, but (s)he has pointed neck feathers just like my Roo, and (s)he has pointy back(saddle?) feathers as well. WHat do you all think? Breed? Gender?
015.jpg

Not enough knowledge to know what it is, but it's certainly not a Dominique (and I'd certainly say no on hen also).

chicken_dominique.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, I felt a wee bit taken advantage of...I thought the tail feathers screamed Roo as well. The woman who sold me this guy ASSURED me she knew it was a girl as I said we cannot have a roo and if she wasn't sure I'd need to pass. Also, I had been looking at Dominiques and I think she glommed on to that...sigh. He is SUCH a cool guy, and I have no issue with mutts as some of ours are, but I already have 2 roosters...I just don't know how a 3rd will be. He is in a small posse with my little Lavender D'Uccle guy, and 2 other small girls and he is HUGE already...oy.

Speaking of mutts...this is my pride and joy roo...the sweetest roo ever and a RIR/Cochin cross. His dad was a nasty roo who no longer lives with us, but his mom is the sweetest little cochin. I think he is simply gorgeous
smile.png

003-1.jpg

ya got yourself a mutt and a roo at that. I hate that people take advantage of people new to the hobby at these swaps. Please don't get discouraged. A lot of the people that I sell to cannot have roos due to restrictions in their community. If I sell a bird as a pullet and it turns out to be a roo, I always take them back, no questions asked. There are a lot of hobbiest on this site that you can trust. If you find one...hang on to them!!!

(message to MTFarm...Are those your Dominiques? If so, you have some beautiful birds!)

Yeah, I am definitely a newbie but learning fast out of necessity! A very nice woman did teach me how to tell the difference betw. males and females based on feathers so I have been working on that. She was wonderful, and if I need any more chickens I would go through her for sure...though I can also hach my own.
smile.png
I do know of a guy who takes chickens regardless of the sex and tries to rehome them... I have done that as I did hatch 6 eggs and got 5 roos...but though he is a sweet older man I do wonder wht happens if he can't rehome them...(don't tell me, I am a vegetarian!) Anyways...I am going to keep Pickle for now and see how it goes. All is well with the chickens I have, 3 roos and 10 girls so...we'll see I guess!

It looks much too light for a Dominique, though the rose comb seems to be right. I'd say it's a cross with something else and a roo. Those comb/waddle bits are pretty bright for 4 weeks. It might turn out to be a beautiful bird, though! Do you know if the breeder had any other types running together or nearby?

Quote:
Nope, not mine. I did have a couple of hens that looked about like those but we no longer have them.

Back
Top Bottom