Dominique???

Quote:
First off Rose Comb and Pea Comb are two (2) completely different combs and Rose Comb is never referred to as a Pea Comb. (Unless they are new to Poultry).
33115_img_new.jpg

You say that
"Dominiques have NEVER had a single comb"

This right from Page 41 of the American Standard of Perfection under Plymouth Rock!!!
"The first and most prominent cross was that of a Dominique male with Black Cochin or Black Java female witch was originally made at Putnam, Connecticut. The Dominique male used was not the American or Rose Comb Dominique male which became a Standard breed in 1874, but a Single combed, hawk-colored fowl commonly found in that locality."

So looks like you are wrong on your post when you said
"Dominiques have NEVER had a single comb"

.. I would suggest you that you do a little more research before you start yelling NEVER.........

I have done my home work on many breeds and I don't post with out facts to back up my words and I posted the facts...

So that you know I do Breed/Show Barred Rocks and Dominiques so I know the difference between the breeds...

Oh I would like to add this also.

Quote:
I believe that the Gray fowl that they are referring to would be a breed close to the Scots Gray's http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Grays/BRKScotsGray.html

Chris​

Last edited:
So I stand corrected for being misinformed about the Rose vs. Pea Comb. I call it Rose Comb, but others have said, Pea, so that was my confusion.

The Dominique standard: Dominiques have a Rose Comb (or True Rose as stated bellow). Single Comb is the standard for Barred Rock, but not Dominique as another person was misinformed about, in the past a Dominique could have had a single comb, but that is outside of the Dominique Standard today.

http://www.dominiquechicken.com/The_Dominique_Standard.html

Peace, my feathered friends...

Yes the American Dominique as we know it to day by standard have a Rose comb but as I said in a past post there is a Gamefowl that is called a
Dominique Gamefowl or Dom Gamefowl for short. The Dom Gamefowl is most likely what the original Dominique looked like..

Chris

The single comb was only not allowed because the Barred Rock came along, so most of the birds at the time that were Dominiques (which allowed both a single and rose comb, and the single was very popular) were turned into BRs because of the original standard. That pretty much wiped out a huge portion of the higher quality breeding animals.

Tons of Dominiques today have single combs, both coming through from the original breeding, as well as coming through because the breed is regaining popularity and outside breeds have been bred in to help bring the population back up, most commonly the Barred Rock. When you have a bird that has a single comb but very Dominique like coloring or body type, it's difficult if not impossible to decide if it's a poor quality Dominique or a poor quality Barred Rock (unless you know what stock it came from).

In quality birds, the two breeds couldn't be any different...

33115_domhen01.jpg

Look at the Dominique's posture, almost game-bird like, and the wider, uneven bars. They should not be black and white, but dark grey on light grey. You should not see any flat spot on the back, the back should go down until it breaks to the tail, where the tail should be held as close to 45 degrees as possible.

Pullet1.jpg

The Barred Rock is a much heavier looking bird, with feathers further from the body (so it's fluffier), the bars are smaller, and should be even so as you could trace a line through the dark bars and they would line up. The bars should also be very distinct. The back should slope slightly up towards the tail after breaking behind the neck.

These pictures aren't the best for showing the difference, it would be nice to see a great rooster of each breed side by side, and you would really see the difference!

Hope that helps!!

And no, neither of the birds posted are myn, I found them on another thread and thought they looked like pretty good representatives of the breed (though I don't really know how to judge BRs very well), and are both hens.

Quote:
Did by chance you get this picture from the Dominique thread or the Heritage Large Fowl thread ?

That is a line of Dominique that I have been working on and adding a little more game back into them...

Chris

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom