Done with Heating Pad? (Mama Heating Pad question)

poulet2016

Chirping
May 31, 2016
Hi All,
Our chicks are now 2 weeks old and thriving outside in the coop- it was really warm this week with two days in the 80s but no colder than the higher 50s at night. I have seen the chicks nowhere near the MHP- I think they sleep in a corner huddled together at night. Could it be possible they already don't need it? Lots of feathers in, but still some fuzz.

I just can't believe they are so big already!

It is very possible they don't need it but I'd suggest leaving it available for another week or so just in case you get some strange weather. They will know to use it if they need it.

I've watched broody hens raise chicks and brooded plenty myself. It quickly becomes obvious that start them between 90 and 100 and drop 5 a week is extremely safe. If you do that they will never have problems with cold. But they are much tougher than the 5 degree a week rule implies. Your chicks will tell you how they are doing by their actions.

How high is your heating pad temp? They may not be using it because it’s toowarm for them under there. Can you lower the temp and raise the height of the cave?

With your temps, it’s entirely possible that they’re done with it, as @Ridgerunner said. They huddle as much for security as they do for warmth....it’s what they’re used to. Mine hardly use it all by 3 weeks and we’re a heck of a lot cooler than your temps are. Leave the cave in for another week so as suggested, but they are probably over it. Just leave it on low and raise it a bit in case they do need it on ocassion.

How high is your heating pad temp? They may not be using it because it’s toowarm for them under there. Can you lower the temp and raise the height of the cave?

With your temps, it’s entirely possible that they’re done with it, as @Ridgerunner said. They huddle as much for security as they do for warmth....it’s what they’re used to. Mine hardly use it all by 3 weeks and we’re a heck of a lot cooler than your temps are. Leave the cave in for another week so as suggested, but they are probably over it. Just leave it on low and raise it a bit in case they do need it on ocassion.
Thanks for your replies! I had been turning it off during the days when it was so hot and on low at night- I put it on low last night again and checked in on them again with a flashlight and saw that they were all huddled in a corner not under it! I raised it too.. I'll leave it out this week on low as you suggested.

Back
Top Bottom