Don't be Afraid to Sell your Chicks in Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you can guarantee that breeds and varieties I would want would be at most 4 hours away?
Sure, because when the BackYard is complete we won't need mail. We can transport between each other. Which breeds are you speaking of? List 3 to 5 breeds that you speak of and I will start breeding 1 of them this year.

Ultimately, your imagined neural network fails for a whole host of practical reasons, most of which have nothing to do with NPIP. Which, again, is NOT required for intrastate poultry sales. That those issues are not immediately obvious to you suggests you wish to impose a policy preference upon a subject about which you have inadequate understanding. Many evils are born of good intention.

I am not suggest that there aren't quality backyard breeders. Henry Noll wasn't a corporate shill, after all. Neither was the lady who developed all the recognized breeds in Georgia (whom people outside GA have never heard of). I'm not such a luminary, though I'd like to believee I'm focused on producing a superior product (and have never sold a bird since becoming NPIP because I have no birds of a quality I would consider worthy of sale).

But there are plenty of backyard breeders of no particular note, peddling birds of no particular quality, there are plenty of the ignorant thinking they have something they don't, and yes, there are some backyard breeders of much lower ethical standards besides.

In my case, NPIP provides free testing for a couple (PT, MG, AI) of high mortality and highly contageous poultry diseases, and allows me a couple hours to talk with the State rep about what he's seeing in the surrounding counties while my flock is tested. Its not a panacea - as I've said here on BYC, all my NPIP certification proves is that my birds tested negative for those things FL tests for, on the date of testing. Its NOT a guarantee the birds are disease free, just that on a certain date, they were free of certain diseases. And it shows that I'm willing to get tested, and subject myself to twice annual facilities inspections.

NPIP participation is voluntary. Don't want to be on yet another Gov't list? Don't participate. Simple as that. Don't think that not being on the list will help you hide your birds if there is an outbreak - CA used aerial photography and feet on the ground to find backyard owners while dealing with the recent Newcastle outbreak.

Sure, because when the BackYard is complete we won't need mail. We can transport between each other. Which breeds are you speaking of? List 3 to 5 breeds that you speak of and I will start breeding 1 of them this year.
Yeah, no. I don't want a bunch of random flocks coming into contact with birds I'm expecting. I would want to get them from their breeder if you refuse to have birds in the country mailed

Yeah, no. I don't want a bunch of random flocks coming into contact with birds I'm expecting. I would want to get them from their breeder if you refuse to have birds in the country mailed
The BackYard tranist system will be much more sophisticated than to allow random flocks possibly infecting your delivery. Simple seclusion practices and such.

Ultimately, your imagined neural network fails for a whole host of practical reasons, most of which have nothing to do with NPIP. Which, again, is NOT required for intrastate poultry sales. That those issues are not immediately obvious to you suggests you wish to impose a policy preference upon a subject about which you have inadequate understanding. Many evils are born of good intention.

I am not suggest that there aren't quality backyard breeders. Henry Noll wasn't a corporate shill, after all. Neither was the lady who developed all the recognized breeds in Georgia (whom people outside GA have never heard of). I'm not such a luminary, though I'd like to believee I'm focused on producing a superior product (and have never sold a bird since becoming NPIP because I have no birds of a quality I would consider worthy of sale).

But there are plenty of backyard breeders of no particular note, peddling birds of no particular quality, there are plenty of the ignorant thinking they have something they don't, and yes, there are some backyard breeders of much lower ethical standards besides.

In my case, NPIP provides free testing for a couple (PT, MG, AI) of high mortality and highly contageous poultry diseases, and allows me a couple hours to talk with the State rep about what he's seeing in the surrounding counties while my flock is tested. Its not a panacea - as I've said here on BYC, all my NPIP certification proves is that my birds tested negative for those things FL tests for, on the date of testing. Its NOT a guarantee the birds are disease free, just that on a certain date, they were free of certain diseases. And it shows that I'm willing to get tested, and subject myself to twice annual facilities inspections.

NPIP participation is voluntary. Don't want to be on yet another Gov't list? Don't participate. Simple as that. Don't think that not being on the list will help you hide your birds if there is an outbreak - CA used aerial photography and feet on the ground to find backyard owners while dealing with the recent Newcastle outbreak.
I always enjoy reading the things you imagine I think. And yes, I know you love your NPIP status and that you have no good will towards me at all. Thank you for adding to the conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom