Don't Have Proper Brooder, Will this Work?

EggPlanter

Songster
May 21, 2015
Hello, so I have some chicks that have hatched and have been in the incubator for quite some time now. Unfortunatel, I no longer have a brooder with me. I plan on making a brooder later today, but in the meantime I have this. Will this be efficient for the chicks, at least temporarily or should I just build a proper brooder?

IMG_1101.JPG
IMG_1101.JPG
image.jpg
IMG_1101.JPG

It's quite small. Are you able to get a warm enough side and a noticeably cooler side? Does it offer at least 1 sq. ft. per chick?

The problem with using an incubator is that the idea with eggs is to evenly heat the whole space. That's not good for chicks as they need to be able to regulate their body temperature by moving in and out of the heated space. A cool zone is just as important as a warm zone.

BTW, a better solution may be to brood in the coop rather than building something for the few weeks they need heat.

BTW, a better solution may be to brood in the coop rather than building something for the few weeks they need heat.
Yeah I know that would probably be ideal, but I don't have a place for them in the coop where the other older chickens are separated.

I don't think they need 1 sq foot per chick for a temporary brooder. They're quail, not meat birds.

Put stuff over the newspaper though, it will decrease the chances of splay leg.

I don't think they need 1 sq foot per chick for a temporary brooder. They're quail, not meat birds.

Put stuff over the newspaper though, it will decrease the chances of splay leg.
I don't see any mention that they're quail but perhaps that was in another thread. They still need somewhere to cool off and this is not easily done in a small plastic bin with a light for heat.

I don't see any mention that they're quail but perhaps that was in another thread. They still need somewhere to cool off and this is not easily done in a small plastic bin with a light for heat.
Sorry. Could have sworn I saw the word quail in there.

....I need coffee.

I brood in the large & xl storage totes. I've had anywhere between 4 and 30 newly hatched chicks at a time in the big one. Mind you once they start growing I have to split them up but they are usually fine the first 2-3 weeks.

The plastic storage totes are much easier to keep clean and move around. I wouldn't brood in anything else if I had the choice.

I brooded my chicks in a metal tub but same idea. Some people also use cardboard boxes, which you can compost or trash afterwards.

Try pine shavings on floor. Newspaper is slippery. Red lights are better -- the regular white bulb keeps them awake.

Here's a thread that can give you ideas. Ignore the first photo -- I wouldn't vent on the side. Too drafty.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/plastic-tote-brooder.23261/page-2

Back
Top Bottom