Don't know what breed or gender you have? Click here!

These are gold-laced wyandottes, which is supposed to be a large breed on the size of Orpingtons. These are very small, with one being Tiny. One female is smaller than the other 2 wyandottes (there are 2 females and 1 male) but all 3 of them are smaller than our Freedom Rangers are at 11 weeks. The 14 amberlinks were intimidating to the 3 wyandottes so they are now separated with a cattle panel between them since I wondered if the size difference was exacerbating the pecking and was concerned that the wyandottes might not get enough food or water with the amberlinks around. I was told they are about 5 months old but I'm thinking that was a very generous estimate. Is there any way to tell by looking?

That is a cattle panel we have across the garage door opening for air flow. The newbies are in a temporary holding pen while we wait out 30 days to make sure they don't show any symptoms of anything before even considering putting them near our current flock. Our chickens are on pasture with an electric fence and a chicken tractor for shelter, so after the 30 days these will also be on pasture. They hadn't seen grass before, were raised in a building.

View attachment 1081185 View attachment 1081186
You don't want to compare them with Rangers as those are bred to reach a large size very quickly. That said, they do look pretty darned small. It also looks like two of them have white skin? I'm thinking maybe they're mixes?

I have 6 approx 9 week old farm hybrids that I was hoping were all girls since the last batch I got had 9 out of 12 birds be roosters. I think I have a silver laced hen, but the others I have absolutely no idea. The one not pictured looks very much like the bird in the foreground except is very standoffish from the pack (rooster behavior?).

Thanks!!

20170715_114932 (1).jpg

Interesting. I haven't seen a dark Brahma, male or female, with juvenile patterning like that. Where did you get it?
Got it from a local breeder. Also got 3 australopres that turned orange within the first few weeks...I figure them to be Wyandottes. She threw the dark brahma in as a gift as I had to bring one buff brahma back to swap after getting it home...it had a wound. The dark brahma is a cool bird however first to do everything and taught all the others how to walk the ramp and get back in at night. If it is a rooster it doesn't have a comb yet but The feathering is what puzzles me after what I've researched.

My EE at almost 10 weeks now. This bird is super sweet loves attention hence the photo so no aggression. Still unsure if roo or pullet? Any help would be great!

Attachments

• IMG_0814.JPG
    IMG_0814.JPG
    377.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0823.JPG
    IMG_0823.JPG
    319.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0824.JPG
    IMG_0824.JPG
    398.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0825.JPG
    IMG_0825.JPG
    384.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0826.JPG
    IMG_0826.JPG
    376.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0827.JPG
    IMG_0827.JPG
    366.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0828.JPG
    IMG_0828.JPG
    386.6 KB · Views: 11
6 week old chicks, looking to rehome more of my suspected roosters once I'm doubly sure.
IMG_0332.JPG
5 toes and funny looking, will my Sultan buddy meet the cut?
IMG_0365.JPG
White Cochin pullet in back? Roo in front? (And my black jap girl hiding in the back)
IMG_0370.JPG
Hmmm on this partridge Cochin
IMG_0377.JPG
Roo jap in front, but what about the d'Uccle?
IMG_0384.JPG
Hmmm on this gold lace Cochin
IMG_0392.JPG
Black Cochin pullet?

View attachment 1081180 View attachment 1081181 I bought these amberlinks last week and was told they were about 6 months old. They are what I would consider a bit small for 6 months but the guy said he doesn't feed to bulk them up. (I didn't say anything about them looking small for their age, he brought it up.) Then my husband was reading a comment somewhere on the forum about amberlink hens supposed to have darker spots/coloring on them, like the 2 here do. Younger amberlinks are pure white. When do the spots start showing up? The guy had told me to feed them layer pellets and they would start laying, that he didn't want eggs so was not feeding them that. (Yes, I feel a bit stupid now for believing that line, since I read that many people wait until the hens start laying eggs to feed them layer feed.) That is a 3-1/2 gallon waterer they are around, and that is a regular brick by the feeder for size comparison purposes. With Amberlinks at what point do they have their "adult" coloring? Do these look like they are about 6 months old? (I don't see him in this pic but there is a rooster among them. He is colored the same as they are.)
At 6 months old, they should be fully matured and laying. They have been deprived of adequate nutrition. Bet they were fed nothing but cracked corn or scratch. Get them on a chick starter ASAP to get them caught up. No layer feed till they are all laying. Same goes for your Wyandottes. They look to be about 3 months old, size wise.

Hello I'm looking for some help sexing an 11 week old dark brahma aka my "bald eagle". It had the penciling in the feathers throughout when younger. Now the darker feathers on the wings have the green sheen not sure if they can be seen in the photo. Any help is great. Thx!
Pattern through the chest is a sure sign of a pullet.

These are my chicks, I believe they are 1-2 months old. We bought them from RKO, and they were all supposed to be barred rock. From the looks of it we only got one barred rock, but we are thinking that she is actually a he because it's starting to become more aggressive. View attachment 1081719 View attachment 1081720 View attachment 1081721 View attachment 1081722 View attachment 1081719 View attachment 1081720 I'View attachment 1081719 View attachment 1081720 View attachment 1081721 View attachment 1081722 View attachment 1081722
Wyandottes look like pullets. You don't have a Barred Rock, you've got a black sexlink. And he's a cockerel.

Back
Top Bottom