Don't know what breed or gender you have? Click here!

A neighbor found this chick wandering alone on the road, so we will keep it. It seems to be a meat breed. Still making chick peeps, maybe 1-2 months old. Very docile. More definitive ID of it's breed would be welcome...we are more familiar with egg layers!
IMG_20170619_112025576.jpg IMG_20170619_133514682.jpg

That's what I guessed, too. Thank you!

No problem. I wonder if that breed can live a happy life as pets? Or because they are genetically created to grow so fast in such a short amount of time, they wouldn't be able to have a good life because their size? I wonder this because I wanted to have one as a pet myself but I wasn't sure. Just curious. Have you had any experience with what I'm talking about?

My blue amercauna crowed this morning:( I have doubts about my blue wyandotte as well (large, but not crowing.) What do you think??? The wyandotte is 3.5 months old.
IMG_2350.JPG
IMG_2355.JPG
IMG_2359.JPG
IMG_2360.JPG
IMG_2361.JPG
IMG_2366.JPG
IMG_2370.JPG

My blue amercauna crowed this morning:( I have doubts about my blue wyandotte as well (large, but not crowing.) What do you think??? The wyandotte is 3.5 months old. View attachment 1047433 View attachment 1047434 View attachment 1047436 View attachment 1047437 View attachment 1047438 View attachment 1047439 View attachment 1047440

I don't see any evidence of a rooster on the blue Wyandotte as far as feathers go. I don't see any pointy saddle feathers. They all seem rounded. As far as wattles and comb goes, they are a bit large and red for a 3.5 month old pullet; however some Wyandotte pullets may have red/medium size wattles at 12 weeks old. So I'm on the fence here of saying a pullet, more likely.

Thanks! Do these hens usually have spurs?
Yes, many game breeds have spurred females. FWIW, I have Welsummers with spurs and my mom's Speckled Sussex hen has spurs. Contrary to what someone once told me on BYC, it is NOT indicative of a hormonal abnormality or old age, there is a genetic element to spur growth.

Back
Top Bottom