Don't think I Will Buy Shipped Eggs Again

angelbabyamy

Songster
11 Years
Feb 18, 2011
Myrtle Point, OR
Bought some Easter Egger and Lavender Orpington eggs online a few weeks ago. The Easter Eggers got here very quickly, were wrapped great, so I was hopeful. The Lavender Orps took 4 days to get here and 3 were weeping. I have them on a separate tray with paper towels covering them. I have hatched out chicks and ducks with good success rates in the past EXCEPT for the Marans eggs I bought online. Only 2 hatched out of 12.
I tried candling my eggs, was kind of in a hurry. It appears that MAYBE 1 Orpington egg is good and I had a hard time seeing the Easter Eggers. They are more green than blue. I don't think I will buy online again. I spent about $60.00 for these.
Any ideas where I can find Lavender Orpingtons? Thanks!

hugs.gif
I'm sorry you had such bad luck. I'm not sure where to find some lavender Orpingtons but I hope you have better luck this time around.

Sorry the eggs didn't arrive in good shape. I'm trying shipped eggs for the first time myself. I did a little research and found several breeders here on BYC that had raving reviews of the hatch rates. Not saying every hatch will be great; but to have had shipped eggs and all hatch is rather telling IMO.

Find out how the eggs are stored, and how the eggs are packed for shipping. I received 2 packages last week--no weeping, no broken eggs. I read the reviews of the breeders (thank you BYC for making the comments possible) AND visit the breed thread looking for who buys from who and their comments. I have read too many sad stories about eBay eggs--just not so easy to find honest, good people to work with.

Good luck with the remaining eggs!!!

I live a little north of you and have lavender orps just starting to lay. I am not sure how many eggs I am getting as wife does the collecting. PM me if you want more info on them.

I had a few great experiences with super hatch rates on shipped eggs. Then my last batch was horribly packed and 0 developed. Of course they were the most expensive and the seller would not respond to emails. I am afraid to try again too. But, I can tell you that I hatched some nice Lavender Orpingtons from Watson Ridge Ranch (here in TX, but had the eggs shipped). She sells on eBay, they were packaged super and I think I hatched 65%. I also bought a batch of Lav orps from here on BYC from chickeemama early spring and had a 70%+ hatch rate. I would buy from either of those sellers again. Good Luck!

I bought some hatching eggs online recently as well and not one hatched it was so frustrating and kinda heartbreaking at the same time lol, it definitely makes me weary of buying eggs online now.

My first few batches were zero hatch, but I was inexperienced at hatching. Lately the shipped eggs I get are doing better. Packing has a lot to do with your outcome. Sorry you had bad luck.

Recandled again tonight and took my time- 0 of my 12 Lavender Orpington eggs are good. I don't think it is an incubation issue as I have Easter Egger chicks developing. I have also had several successful hatches with this incubator.
I think I will look locally for all eggs I buy again.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom