Double Bumblefoot Surgery - How long to Segregate?

I got vet wrap at our local farm store (In Kansas, Bluestem or Orschlen's, but I would think that Tractor Supply would also have it). It comes in many colors, but I would think the more neutral ones would work best. I cut it in narrow strips so it wouldn't be too bulky around her feet. After 12 hours, though, it is pretty well stuck on, and you have to cut it off.

I'd sure get her back out with the flock as soon as you can.

I got vet wrap at our local farm store (In Kansas, Bluestem or Orschlen's, but I would think that Tractor Supply would also have it). It comes in many colors, but I would think the more neutral ones would work best. I cut it in narrow strips so it wouldn't be too bulky around her feet. After 12 hours, though, it is pretty well stuck on, and you have to cut it off.

I'd sure get her back out with the flock as soon as you can.

It's listed for sale at our TSC, but when I called, they said they only had the hot pink camo and zebra patterns currently in stock.
hmm.png
She's got black legs, so it would've been great if they had the solid black in stock. CVS had the white self-adhesive strips that a few other users mentioned, so I did get a package of that now.

I'm hoping that if the wounds are looking good and I can get a better bandage on them now that I have better material that I can return her to the flock tonight. They're in the run whenever we're not home and that is covered and always dry. So hopefully this stuff will seal up and hold together nice so she can at least be there with everyone.

Got the vetwrap and some epsom salts, so I took off the old bandages last night. The foot that was the worst looked awesome! Normal scabbing and no sign of inflammation. The more minor foot looked questionable to me; I didn't care for it, so both feet were soaked in an epsom salt solution, both wounds cleaned with iodine, packed with neosporin and and gauze pad and then wrapped in vetwrap.

We then sent her back to the flock and will recheck her feet tomorrow. She was SO happy to go back; started acting like a chicken again rather than a sad, quiet bump on a log (she's never spent a day in her life alone before that, though). The rest of the flock was happy to see her, too (especially the roo since those two are otherwise never apart). We only got two eggs yesterday while she was out of the flock, so they apparently missed her - we've been getting 4-5/day for the last two months.

We kept ours for about 2 weeks in an unused rabbit coop and gave her antibiotics in the water. another week seperate without antibiotics so any eggs would get mixed in. she lost a toe though

We kept ours for about 2 weeks in an unused rabbit coop and gave her antibiotics in the water. another week seperate without antibiotics so any eggs would get mixed in. she lost a toe though

Oh my gosh, the poor dear! I hope that we got this long before any serious threat to her digits. At least we do have a good poultry vet nearby if we get in over our heads on something.

Back
Top Bottom