Double yoke egg at day 9...

Chicabator

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 17, 2013
I put some 30 chicken eggs into the Incubator (GQF ) still air.
So far it is the 9th day and i've candled them and 27 of the 30 show a lot of formation. I'm sure those are good. 2 Are infertile and one was accidently put upward. One of the 27 good ones has 2 eyes when the rest have one so far. Is that a double yoker? if yes what do i do on day 21. Beacause I did hear that they usually dont hatch by themselves.
Should I open them up myself?
THANKX

Actually none of my double yolkers have ever made it to to hatch day so you probably don't have anything to worry about!

What about doing what? I must not be quite understanding.
idunno.gif

Oh ha. we were posting at the same time! I really don't know for sure. Like I said my double's have never made it to day 21 but if they did it would have to be a decision of the moment whether or not to hatch them out yourself. I rarely have success with assisted hatches. Most of the time despite your efforts they die anyway. Did you notice in the video how the one is bleeding? That is not a good sign, and that baby most likely did not survive. It can happen though so that would really be a decision that you would have to make. I would probably wait as long as possible before assisting in the hatch to make sure that the chicks absorbed all of their yolk sac, other wise...bleeding occurs.

How do I know if they absorbed all off their yolk sack?
Later in the video it says that both of them survived. One was a rooster one was a chicken.

What gives me a better chance? Letting them break through the shell themselves or helping them?

It can take anywhere from 12 to 24 hours from pipping time. That's cool that both of those chicks survived. You just take a risk.

Back
Top Bottom