Double yolk eggs question...

pochovilla

Hatching
9 Years
Mar 10, 2010
Hello everybody - My chooks have recently started laying eggs and one of them (not sure which), is consistently laying eggs w/ double yolks inside. You can tell they're gonna be double yolked due to their length. Though I don't believe there's anything wrong, I was curious to know why a chicken would consistently do this....?

Two of our hens just started laying eggs too (both EE's) and one of them has laid 2 double yolkers out of about 12 eggs total. I was wondering the same thing...is this normal in a new layer or with certain breeds?

New layers and those coming off their first molt seem to be the most common. For some reason there are always one or two in a flock that do this fairly regularly.

mostly new layers but I love em soon I won't be finding as many. I've had several triples those eggs are really big enjoy them while you get em my neighbor calls them lucky eggs why I dunno

Often the immature, start up reproductive system spits out more than one ova (forms the yolk) per cycle. Then if both ova end up close enough together in the tubes both yolks end up in the same shell.

Back
Top Bottom