DOUBLE yolker - yolk Hatched! Video p. 16 ** 13 Week PICS ** p. 51

If it were me, and your positive it's a double and that is why it's at the wrong end...Id open up the hole a tiny bit so it can breathe...

Saying that..I am sure someone with more experience will tell you that is exactly what NOT to do!

....waiting

fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
OMG the suspense is killing me!!! Good Luck!!!

I am no expert and I normally would not even touch it. What someone else above said. if they cannot make it out on thier own, they usually die before reaching crowing age.

In this case, however, I would make a teenie break in the big end just in case there is a chick in that end that cannot breathe and cannot pip to make an air hole to breathe. Obviously the one in the small end can breathe. I wouldn't want the other to die. If I were in your shoes facing the same dilemna, right or wrong, I would take a very very small sterilized instrument (tiny flat screwdriver, nail clipper handle, etc and make a tiny pip in the big end, just enough to break the membrane but nothing else. I have some BIG darning needles that are pointy but not sharp, that work good and give a little pressure but not break through like a hammer. Use the blunt end(they eye end) not the sharp end. Gently, gently, gently, do this. Once there is an air hole, leave it alone, if it starts to bleed, wrap it in warm wet papertowels(not over the hole however!). Watch to see if they can finish zipping. If they cannot, use the same technique to gently break the shell in a zip pattern around the small end and let him escape. Don't do the whole process for them, just give them a start. Don't yank it out of the shell, he has to be able to absorb the yolk and it needs to stay moist and not dry out or you have bigger problems. (*this is the voice of bad experience here talking!)

Good luck and don't rush the helping out part. Slow and steady wins the race!

UPDATE!!!
I have pipped the large end and it's official! 2 BEAKS! One on the small end, one on the large end!!!!
I put them back in the bator to rest....
My heart is racing, I am about to die....having been videotaping this as well!
~Rebecca

Back
Top Bottom