DOUBLE yolker - yolk Hatched! Video p. 16 ** 13 Week PICS ** p. 51

needmorechickens!

Songster
11 Years
Jul 2, 2008
West TN
I have two double yolkers in the bator. Today is day 19 for one and day 20 for the other. The one on day 20 is peeping!
yippiechickie.gif

What do I do?!!
barnie.gif

I know doubles aren't able to hatch (usually), so when do I help?
It was a double when I put it in there, but what if only one survived, then if I help I may create a problem!!
I need some advice...please!
~Rebecca

edited to add link to video:

Last edited by a moderator:
It's time for an update!
The chicks are 13 weeks old and they are growing so fast.
I think I have one roo and 2 hens (I hope so, because I named them already!)

Here ya go...

This is Greta, she is the "triplet" that was in the second double yolker...her twin did not make it to the hatch...she is very calm and shy...

web-Greta-Feb-11.jpg

This is Reba, she is the "little twin"...and she is a wild child and always wants to be with me...

web-Reba-Feb-11-09.jpg

another photo of Reba eating...

web-liltwin-or-triplet-2-11.jpg

And this is my handsome boy Hank...he is a typical roo and does whatever he wants...He looks so much like his Daddy!

web--Hank-2-11-09.jpg

Here is a closeup of his feathering...

web-closeup-bigtwin-2-11.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the pics!

Thanks,
Rebecca

Quote:
Do I need to bring out the duct tape? Didn't I say you shouldn't be touching the eggs till day 22 to give them the best chance to absorb what they need to survive and not compromise the humidity on the last days of incubation?

Uh-oh! Silkiechicken is gonna whoop me! Sorry silkie...I will try to do better.
roll.png

~Rebecca

Two on one yolk would have not made it to peeping due to lack of nutrition. Two yolks have been known to make it to the end, but often not alive. Since an egg is the perfect closed model system nutrient wise, if one died, there is no "mother" to adsorb the dead tissue/cells.

Pics are a must!

And leave it in the bator till at least day 22 to ensure yolk absorption. Opening the bator now is a big no no as it can compromise the hatch!

needmorechickens! :

ok here's a recap:

2double yolkers
1.) peeping inside shell (no pips) - also tapping rythmically

2.) taps back when I tap on the shell, didn't hear any peeping

Gotta go to work...if they hatch while i'm gone and I don't get it on video, I'm gonna die!

~Rebecca

Do I need to bring out the duct tape? Didn't I say you shouldn't be touching the eggs till day 22 to give them the best chance to absorb what they need to survive and not compromise the humidity on the last days of incubation?​

needmorechickens! :

Thanks for the info ruth...I appreciate it....it would be great if we could get these 2 out alive!
~Rebecca

I would try and give them as long as possible. In both cases here, it seemed to be too early, even the one that was at 21 days still had lots of bloody veins and at least one chick had unabsosrbed yolk. So maybe with twins it takes a day longer - or more.

However, I tried being patient with the second one that had pipped and it died for no reason that I can tell - had beak out - was carrying on like it had hatched already. Even found it hard to sleep with chick chirping like it was. Bator was in master bathroom and DH kept saying "I think it hatched" but I would go peek in and it was still in shell. But there was blood around the pipped area that you don't normally see so maybe it too pipped too soon and then bled to death inside egg.​

Last edited:
OH MY! Becky has me excited too the point, that I think I am gonna have too go too her house and look at the chicks myself. But I sure wouldn't open the bator as I would be scared it would hurt them, but I sure would like too watch them. She gets me so excited about the babies hatching that I always have too run up too her house and watch them and cheer them on. I am praying dear daughter that they will pop out and be healthy and strong by the time you get home.

What I learned in my two experiences is that lower temps help to have smaller chicks and with two chicks in a shell use only the largest of DY egg (which I did) and keep the temps a little lower.

My little Hovabator tends to suddenly jump from 99-100 steady to 103 or even 108. My first batch of chicks had 100 % hatch even though the temp jumped to 108 on at least two occasions and stayed there for hours while I was gone or sleeping. That batch all had to be helped out of their shells because they could pip but were too large to turn and zip. They were huge - not a bit of extra space in shell. In fact as I carefully zipped their shells, the egg would expand in my hand. Since then I've had better luck at keeping the temps steady at 99-101.

However, that first double yolker did have some temps that got higher and the two chicks were really big and there was no extra space in egg except a tiny air cell at each end. Notice how large they are when laid out. They would be considered big chicks if they came out of a single egg.

The second set of twins were kept at 99 and one made it to pipping and chirping and there was more room in egg and the chicks were smaller than the first set.

I only set the two largest double yolkers that looked as if they would have room for twins. If I ever do it again I would:

Only set the largest egg
Keep the temps at 99, maybe 98
Wait 22 days before attempting to "help".

That's what I did this last time and was surprised to see the one pip at day 20. I was prepared to wait till day 22 and help at that point by making a small hole in each air cell.

Hope this helps others who are trying to set a DY.

Can't wait for the updates - really pulling for these little twins. I truly want to see someone be able to do it so then "they" can be proven wrong when "they" say it can't be done.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom