DOUBLE yolker - yolk Hatched! Video p. 16 ** 13 Week PICS ** p. 51

Two on one yolk would have not made it to peeping due to lack of nutrition. Two yolks have been known to make it to the end, but often not alive. Since an egg is the perfect closed model system nutrient wise, if one died, there is no "mother" to adsorb the dead tissue/cells.

Pics are a must!

And leave it in the bator till at least day 22 to ensure yolk absorption. Opening the bator now is a big no no as it can compromise the hatch!

ok - for a regular egg...if it is audibly peeping, then it has pipped the air cell, right? how long can a chick that is peeping live on the air in the air cell...when must it pip?
~Rebecca

Yep, into the air cell. Leave them be and don't touch that bator!!!!!!

I've heard peeping up to two days before any pips/hatches. Eventually they run low of oxygen when their vessels close down and adsorb, and that is what causes the shell pipping spasm you see as a pip.

Don't make me duct tape you to your chair!!! :p

I am not doing anything tonight...i will wait til morning....will update if anything happens...
~Rebecca
fl.gif

no pip this morning - when I hold it up to my ear - i hear taps, but it is steady like breathing. I think it may be touching its beak to the shell everytime it breathes...
I still don't know when to do something...I have to go to work soon and can't check on it until lunch time.
~Rebecca
barnie.gif

What is happening with the other eggs in the bator? Any other pips there? That may give you a good indication of what should be happening when and if that chick is behind.

I only have these two in the bator.
They are my last eggs to hatch this year. I had 4 days in a row of double yolkers, I put 3 in the bator, one was bad and I got rid of it yesterday....
Guess what! No pips, but he other one is pecking on the shell when I tap on it!
(I know I'm not supposed to open the bator!)
So now I got two of 'em about to hatch.

The only "double yolker" I have had make it this far (I've tried 3 others) ended up with just one chick and it made it full term, but never pipped.
Gotta go feed the horse and will check back in before I go to work.

~Rebecca

ok here's a recap:

2double yolkers
1.) peeping inside shell (no pips) - also tapping rythmically

2.) taps back when I tap on the shell, didn't hear any peeping

Gotta go to work...if they hatch while i'm gone and I don't get it on video, I'm gonna die!

~Rebecca

Back
Top Bottom