downsizing doesn't mean dumping your chickens in the bush

I ended up with a lovely flock of 8 Brahma crosses who seem healthy as can be and lay the biggest eggs I've ever seen. The last hen survived in the woods for over a month before I managed to catch her.
That is a great looking flock! It's amazing your hen survived on her own for a month...she must really have good survival instincts. They must be rewarding you for taking them in with those big eggs.
1f642.png

What a pretty flock! How did you manage to catch the last hen?

I would go up there every few days to try to catch her and leave more food. Over time I found some of her hidey holes and the tree she liked to sleep in. After that it was just a matter of luck. I tried to catch her in her sleeping tree, she flew out and went into thick brush. Her head was covered but her big white behind was sticking out so I just picked her up!
In actuality, I burned two tanks of gas and lost probably seven hours of my life up there trying to catch her. Maybe she'll lay golden eggs.
And then yesterday I went to the small animal auction and what did I bring home? A thousand year old hen, missing most of her feathers, with a badly trimmed beak. Those places are not for me, I tell ya. I can spot a sad story from a hundred yards away.

You are a very patient person...and clearly kind-hearted. You'll have that poor old hen shiny and happy in no time!

I went to a local animal swap for the first time a couple of months ago and won't go again. I left with the impression that some of the people there had very different views about animal welfare (including for livestock) than I do.
sad.png

Ugh, I just get so upset when people are inhumane to animals, in any way!! Most the pets I have had in my life have been "rescued". I am simply incapable of seeing a pet in need and not giving it a loving home. It breaks my heart! This mostly applies to cats and dogs, though I have helped in finding good homes for other pets as well. And all the cats I have ever had have been happy, loving, cuddly cats! NEVER has one had that "stuck up" cat attitude. They appreciate having a loving home.

I could never abandon an animal. My dogs, too, have all been wonderful! I ended up with a short hair Border Collie (abandoned at a rest area off the freeway as a tiny puppy!) who is georgeous. We had people asking for puppies from her, so we decided to breed her knowing full well the risk of not being able to sell all the puppies. The result? We kept 3 of the puppies, because I refused to be "one of those" irresponsible people.

I cannot even see the feral cats around us (we live in the country) and not try to help them. I will provide them shelter and food (well out of reach of our dogs... who kill strange cats :-( ).

I haven't taken in any stray or abandoned farm animals, but I have helped find homes for chickens, horses, and a llama.

People can just be so cruel.

Kudos to all who step in and help strays! I am glad I am not the only person with a heart. You all help restore my faith in humanity!

Last edited:
I love how persistent you were in trying to catch the last hen. Glad you succeeded! I feel so sorry for animals being alone, lost and scared.

I can't say what I think needs to be done with people who abandon animals.

When I lived in the "country" I can't tell you how many dogs and cats I had to dispatch because people just took them to the "country" and dropped them off.

I once placed and editorial in the local paper hoping that if just one person read it and didn't do it, it would be worth it.

I kept it short and simple. "For those of you who believe that if you bring your unwanted dog or cat to the country dump it believing that a local farmer will take it in and it will have a great life in the "country" think again, WE SHOOT THEM!!!!!!! and the vultures eat them"

I have since moved to suburbia and don't have that issue any more.

I can't say what I think needs to be done with people who abandon animals.

When I lived in the "country" I can't tell you how many dogs and cats I had to dispatch because people just took them to the "country" and dropped them off.

I once placed and editorial in the local paper hoping that if just one person read it and didn't do it, it would be worth it.    

I kept it short and simple.  "For those of you who believe that if you bring your unwanted dog or cat to the country dump it  believing that a local farmer will take it in  and it will have a great life in the "country"  think again,  WE SHOOT THEM!!!!!!! and the vultures eat them"

I have since moved to suburbia and don't have that issue any more.

They get shot out here too. The poor animals have no idea what to do, and if they are on someone's property, they get shot, whether they are bothering the livestock or not.

I had a horrible situation a few days ago. A neighbor just bought a house this last spring. I guess they hated it here and chose to move back to the state they previous lived and listed their house about a month ago. I was aware they purchased a lot of chickens but didn't know about the ducks. Well anyway, I was driving home and came across 15 or so ducks all on the road. When I got home I called the realtor for the property knowing now no one lives there. She was a ware of the ducks and have been giving them breed. I explained it is against the law to have farm animals roaming and the owners could get fined, also that is called abandonment and this was very serious. She asked if I wanted them. I told her no but gave her a neighbor number who might but also suggested craigslist. I told her I would help her catch them and to call me when she got to the house. Well later that night between the neighbor who agreed to take them and the realtor we caught 10, but two possible three flew off. When catching them a few felt okay but most of them were very thin
sad.png
I left the realtor extra food to catch the other two possible three hoping she was concern and wanted to achieve this for the sake of their life. Well yesterday I drove by the house and there was two squished ducks right in front of the house. Broke my heart. If I had known she wasn't going to try to catch them I would of went back to catch. They all went for the food as they were starving and it wouldn't of been hard. I just can't believe these original owners to leave their ducks. I guess they rehomed the chickens. I also found a squished rabbit as well which I wonder came from their home as well. Just had to share.

Thats so sad! My neighbors recently let go there bunny and it was outside our yard for 2 days. I decided to catch it and now we have 5 bunnies!
bun.gif
Im taking it to the vet tomorrow to get it examined before putting it in our bunny hutch just in case

Back
Top Bottom