Pet Ducks Dumped in Neighborhood Pond, Help?

Free range or backyard/pen?

• Total voters
Not an expert but my guess is the lighter bill one is only part Pekin . It will take effort, but you can let them out in the morning and give them feed and treats in the evening when they get back to their house. I would suggest keeping them penned but spoiled with treats for a few days before trying to herd them back and forth. In time they will associate the house with treats and get into a routine of coming back home in the evening . Patience is everything. When you are driving them back home, walk slow, be calm, and do not be in a hurry.
Absolutely agree with Texag87 - I put a little chopped lettuce and some mealworms in a waterbowl in duck house and they literally knock me down to get inside in the evening. Also slow, calm movements whilst talking gently to them helps. I always say "time for bed duckies then the mad rush for the house starts! Good luck with these ones they are absolutely gorgeous looking.

Any way you can set them up where they can see each other but aren’t together until the polish is stronger and maybe try them together in a week? That way they can see each other but no way the tiny polish can get stepped on? I’d try an find a buddy for your Cochin too unless you can put all 3 close enough they can see each other and a stuffed animal for each to snuggle with.

Hey @Miss Lydia @Eggcessive @dawg53

Our oldest chicken. That is 10 weeks old has been having a few odd symptoms that I kinda concern about. She has a bit of wheezing when she breathes, and her sneezes are kinda wet , we were thinking of getting her some antibiotics but were not sure witch ones to get. She also has been have some open mouth gaping, like she's yawning but no open mouth breathing , feathers are fine, eyes look great, very active, loves to eat and drink , no swollen face, poop looks normal. I'm not sure what she could have, do you have any suggestions by chance? Any help would be much appreciated

We did swap their bedding from paper towel to play sand, figured they would enjoy taking dust baths, be cleaner, about a week after switching them to sand it when noticed the wheezing , do you think the sand is to dusty and causing her to wheeze, were thing she might need a bit more ventilation too

Last edited:
@Miss Lydia @Eggcessive @dawg53

I just notice the little one doing some odd symptoms now too, the silke that is five weeks old now is sneezing and doing the yawn stretch neck similar to the 10 week coachin and the polish that is 3 weeks old is sneezing and doing some head shaking, I'm not sure if it anything to worry about yet but I figured I would tell ya about it

Any help would be greatly appreciated

It sounds like there may be a respiratory disease spreading through the flock. Dust, mold, pollen could also be a factor. Make sure your ventilation is good or make more. Antibiotics are hard to come by, and will only treat bacterial or mycoplasma infections. Some diseases are caused by viruses or fungus (mold.) Is there any way that you could get one tested?

It sounds like there may be a respiratory disease spreading through the flock. Dust, mold, pollen could also be a factor. Make sure your ventilation is good or make more. Antibiotics are hard to come by, and will only treat bacterial or mycoplasma infections. Some diseases are caused by viruses or fungus (mold.) Is there any way that you could get one tested?

Thank you so much for the replay back @Eggcessive

I've notice the silkie has seem to stop the mouth gaping , so maybe I caught her adjusting her crop. I'm not sure, but the polish is still sneezing a bit and head shaking some. Do you think the sand might of been to dusty?
Yes, I think we have some vets around here that take goats, pigs, I’m sure chickens would be included

Last edited:
@Miss Lydia @Eggcessive @DA
Try removing the sand for several days and wait and see if there's improvement, then you'll know for sure. Ensure they have clean fresh water to drink as well.
@dawg53
Definitely, we’re going to tsc today and we’ll pick up a bag of pine shaving instead to use bedding.
But yeah all the chickens seemed normal until we changed the paper towels to play sand bought at Home Depot. Reason we didn’t use pine shaving is because our tsc is the next town over so we don’t go out that way very often unless to grab feed for the chicken and ducks. In case it is a respiratory infection, while we are at tsc should we pick up an antibiotics to have on hand?
Besides the sand, I really do think it was a ventilation issue, right now we have the oldest (the 10 week old Cochin who is doing the wheezing) in a made shift brooder that might require more ventilation, plus combining the sand, I think that’s why the wheezing started out of nowhere. But of course I’m not to sure either, the Silkie and polish seem perfecting fine expect when sand gets kicked up is when I notice the sneezing the most. But the Cochin making the wheezing sound is what’s really panicking me

Back
Top Bottom