Draft/Ventilation roost question

Hen Daddy

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 20, 2008
Vancouver, WA
We have our A frame coop that we installed 2 of the rectangular vents on each end. Due to me having to move the upper roosting bar around to accomodate our girls, the vents are on either end directly next to the girls at night. I am concerned they might get drafty as our weather gets colder. My thought was maybe I should either tightly or loosely cover the vent closest to the west which is where most of our weather comes from and leave the other one as is.
Obviously I need to have the coop ventilate but not have a problem with the girls getting too cold. I need your opinions on what would be best. The pic shown is to give an idea on how its laid out but the roosting bar is now directly below both vents.
Any and all opinions welcome.

Thanks.

IMG_1146.jpg

I'd probably lower the roost a little. Not only would that put them lower than the draft, they wouldn't have to be quite so close to the sloped roof/wall. I know it's always a challenge to squeeze everything in and not have conflicts in a smaller coop.

seriously, in Vancouver weather you really could house your birds under a plastic sheet or tarp.

They will probably be really happy and feel well-kept in that coop.

I would just close the vent on the windy side any days that you have high winds.

Back
Top Bottom