Drake Terrorizing my poor dogs

NewlyHatched

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 24, 2014
Utah
So we have three dogs and one duck (I know we shouldn't only have one but, his mate was killed along with four of our chickens all in a span of two nights). Well now we have him on our front porch so he isn't lonely and he hangs with us all day. Well, my poor dogs can't eat, drink their water, walk inside (hell chase them into the house and our duck will come right in and continue to chase them) or just relax without him coming around and nipping and just all around being a jerk. We didn't mind it at first because he was establishing himself and we are glad they don't mess with him but now he has officially taken it too far. One of my dogs won't even come onto the porch anymore, she runs straight into the yard and won't come back until I pick him up so she can go inside. Anyway, help me please!

So we have three dogs and one duck (I know we shouldn't only have one but, his mate was killed along with four of our chickens all in a span of two nights). Well now we have him on our front porch so he isn't lonely and he hangs with us all day. Well, my poor dogs can't eat, drink their water, walk inside (hell chase them into the house and our duck will come right in and continue to chase them) or just relax without him coming around and nipping and just all around being a jerk. We didn't mind it at first because he was establishing himself and we are glad they don't mess with him but now he has officially taken it too far. One of my dogs won't even come onto the porch anymore, she runs straight into the yard and won't come back until I pick him up so she can go inside. Anyway, help me please!
Do you have a back door? I'd let the dogs use one and the duck have the other and porch. Drakes can be dominant even towards other animals and eventually one of your dogs is going to retaliate. happened here with my gander and my dog but thankfully she only got a mouth full of feathers. Start looking for some females for your drake at least 2 even 3 would be better craigslist or here on BYC also[ buy sell trade thread] or go to your states thread and ask around if anyone has any ducks. That thread is at "where am I where are you" But don't let your drake bully your dogs before it's too late.

And please secure your pens and coops because predators come back again and again when they know there are easy pickings.

We do have a back door but we live in the basement of my in-laws. So we only use our door, unless we are upstairs for any reason. We may be able to get another duck next year but it isn't my house and my mother in law really doesn't want anymore poultry. I'm lucky to still have Fred our drake. She bought the ducks for me for Easter. Also, we did have a secured pen, for both the ducks and chickens but whatever it was dug a tiny hole under both pens and killed the chickens and our female duck. This is why the duck is on our porch because where the pen is, it's sort of in the woods and I know if he is up there he'll be killed. My mother in law made us move the pens because we were getting infested with rats. Anyway, I guess I'll figure something out because my dogs can't keep being terrorized, it isn't fair that they're scared to be outside but I love Fred and he has bonded to me, so I don't want to get rid of him.

I am hoping that we can get another duck, it's what we really want for him but only if my in laws are okay with it. We don't *let* him in, he just sort of runs in following the dogs. We usually shue him back outside. I don't want the dogs to feel like they don't have their own space.

I am hoping that we can get another duck, it's what we really want for him but only if my in laws are okay with it. We don't *let* him in, he just sort of runs in following the dogs. We usually shue him back outside. I don't want the dogs to feel like they don't have their own space.
You have to realize also that your drake has suffered a loss and is confused as to where he belongs now but letting him chase and bully the dogs isn't a good idea. Get your drake and his "new" girls their own space that is safe then your dogs will have their own space back.

I don't want to sound mean or for you to take this the wrong way. But if you cannot get any more ducks then I would seriously look into re homing him. When you have everything ready in say the spring or when you can have more than 1 duck start over. He needs a friend and it isn't fair to him or your dogs to make this work long term.

That doesn't sound mean at all, it is actually very reasonable. I would need to talk to my in laws because although they don't take care of him, he is technically theirs and I couldn't make that decision on my own. Thank you all for your replies and I will do my best to find a solution so he doesnt have to suffer any longer.

That doesn't sound mean at all, it is actually very reasonable. I would need to talk to my in laws because although they don't take care of him, he is technically theirs and I couldn't make that decision on my own. Thank you all for your replies and I will do my best to find a solution so he doesnt have to suffer any longer.

Check on petfinder/local humane society. Many times they have loads of fowl and no where to home them. It may be a easy way to get a couple of ducks that are adult, his age and more laid back.

Back
Top Bottom