Muscovy drake not moving much

Jul 5, 2022
Lexington nc
I know this has been asked, but I can't seem to find the answer im looking for. One of our Muscovy drake's isn't using his leg at all. When he walks, or tries to, he uses one leg and wings mostly. I don't think it's broken, or I didn't feel anything that felt broken, but I know he's hurt. I brought him inside, put him in a smaller size dog crate to rest, and I am putting him in tub to soak shortly. Is there anything else I can do for this poor boy? His knee is swollen and it seems to be swollen around his ankle just a little. The knee is where I noticed the biggest difference. I can feel the squishiness from the fluid buildup. I don't know how to help him, and that's all I wanna do. Please, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Check his feet for Bumblefoot. A bad enough case can cause inflammation and infection all the way up the leg.

Give him baths in warm water with epsom salts, but don't let him drink the water as it can dehydrate him.

Please post pictures so we can get a better idea of what's going on.

I like to soak using a bucket that why you can control the duck better so he can't drink the water. I put both legs down into the bucket and sit on a stool and hold the duck and let him soak. Please get pictures. Is a vet an option?

Can't get to a vet, I don't think there's an avian vet close by. I checked for bumblefoot, and he has 2 little cuts on his one toe, but they aren't swollen and don't look like bumblefoot. And they are real small little places. Not even scabbed over. He won't stand at all. He is not very polite, and hates me, so I'm not sure I can wrestle him into a bucket. I am still seriously dreading trying to get him in the bathtub. It was a horrible ordeal just trying to catch him and look at his foot and leg, and he wasn't really using it at all. I'll try and get pics in a few minutes. Wish me luck please. I need all the help I can get. My poor big ole Muscovy just wants to be left alone, and I keep invading his space. I have personal space issues too, so I know how he feels. 🤞🤞🤞🦆

Back
Top Bottom