Drake with Bumblefoot

Update on my boy...The vet wanted me to leave the wrap on until his next appointment, but said to change it out if it got wet. Well, it didn't get wet but somehow he managed to poop on the top of his wrapped foot.Today I took off the wrap and let him enjoy about 45 minutes in the bathtub. After he was cleaned up I found that the bumble is about half the size that it was, and that the small brown/black scab is much larger. I didn't mess with the scab, I'm feeling kinda queasy after over indulging yesterday. I applied more of the silvadyne cream and wrapped his foot back up. So, I am feeling hopeful that a few weeks of the antibiotics and wrapping will be effective.

Update on my boy...The vet wanted me to leave the wrap on until his next appointment, but said to change it out if it got wet. Well, it didn't get wet but somehow he managed to poop on the top of his wrapped foot.Today I took off the wrap and let him enjoy about 45 minutes in the bathtub. After he was cleaned up I found that the bumble is about half the size that it was, and that the small brown/black scab is much larger. I didn't mess with the scab, I'm feeling kinda queasy after over indulging yesterday. I applied more of the silvadyne cream and wrapped his foot back up. So, I am feeling hopeful that a few weeks of the antibiotics and wrapping will be effective.
That is awesome always best to give it a chance to heal on it's own. How's his spirits?

Last edited:
He seems to be content. I have been letting him out to wander around the tiled areas of the house. I'm still waiting for the playpen to arrive so I can give him a bigger area and bring one of his girls home.

He seems to be content. I have been letting him out to wander around the tiled areas of the house. I'm still waiting for the playpen to arrive so I can give him a bigger area and bring one of his girls home.
He'll love having one of his girls home with him, and he is probably feeling alot better too. Paper towels sure are nice to have on hand huh?

How's Qwackers doing?

He is doing well. Almost all of the swelling is gone, and no more limping or holding his foot up. I have taken his wrap off. I want to let his foot breathe for a day or so. Ive been changing them often, but they get nasty and wet fast. I'm going to keep him home for a few more weeks. He still has to finish his antibiotics.

He is doing well. Almost all of the swelling is gone, and no more limping or holding his foot up. I have taken his wrap off. I want to let his foot breathe for a day or so. Ive been changing them often, but they get nasty and wet fast. I'm going to keep him home for a few more weeks. He still has to finish his antibiotics.
That's a good idea on keeping him home. Did you decide what your going to use in their pens? And did you bring home one of the girls to keep him company? how's that going?

Sounds like his foot is healing good, that's great and so much better than having to cut and dig that stuff out. I like that idea so much better, what is the antibiotic he is on.

That's a good idea on keeping him home. Did you decide what your going to use in their pens? And did you bring home one of the girls to keep him company? how's that going?

Sounds like his foot is healing good, that's great and so much better than having to cut and dig that stuff out. I like that idea so much better, what is the antibiotic he is on.
I have not decided yet, probably pine shavings. I have to dig most of the sand out first, otherwise the shavings will pour out the sides of their enclosure. I have not brought one of the girls home for him. I have made a pen outside, so when I get home in the afternoon he goes outside for a few hours each day. He is back to his normal ornery self. You'd think as much as I have handled him he would be more calm, but NOOOO he acts like I am trying to kill him every time I pick him up.

Ok, so one week to the day after starting the antibiotics and silvadene cream his foot has improved tremendously. The swelling is almost all gone, and the bumble looks a million times better. Top pic is the day I brought him home, and bottom pic is this evening after his bath.

Ok, so one week to the day after starting the antibiotics and silvadene cream his foot has improved tremendously. The swelling is almost all gone, and the bumble looks a million times better. Top pic is the day I brought him home, and bottom pic is this evening after his bath.

That is amazing so glad to see the big difference.

Back
Top Bottom