Drastic Reduction In Egg Production

Have you checked for predator stress? Mites?
I have. No predator issues, no mites, but with the hard molt, and 10 chicks, 4 that turned out to be cockerels, there has been some stress as they disrupt the roosting routine. One cockerel went into the crockpot last week. 2 that are 12 weeks old will be going to freezer camp soon. The other is a calm quiet boy and will stay as long as he doesn't cause trouble. Same thing happened last year.

Will LED light be fine for supplemental light? I read that it will be but mainly curious on the lumens.

Also, I understand you should add the light gradually? Say 15 minutes extra a day until you are up 14-16 hours? I hear this is better than blasting them with 5-6 extra hours of light all at once.

You take what you get. There is a difference in production due to the light. But each chicken is an individual, and how they react is unique.

I had a 2 year old BA - molted hard, grew in her feathers, did not expect an egg from her until mid January, but she is laying BEFORE the solstice. We have had a lot of sunny days.

But the thing is, even when they are technically laying, they are not laying every day.
December 21 is getting closer!

Hens need 14 to 16 hours of light to produce eggs, so in winter most birds stop or drastically reduce egg production. If you add a small light on a timer in their coop 3am to 8am daily, egg production will increase.
Often pullets continue to lay better their first winter, but as hens, not.
Mary
Folly, this is not quite accurate. Hens need 14 or so hours of light for optimal production, but can and will still lay with less light. I'm getting about 10 hours of light right now and girls are still laying. Also, some breeds do better with low light than others.

Very true, it does 'just depend' on several other factors. But adjusting the lighting makes a big difference!
Mary
Adding light does help. My 4 pullets & 8 hens all slowed to their laying as follows. eggs in:
September = 167 October = 84 November = 54 December = 27 January 1-12 = 54

I started the lighting program on 11/23/2023. The lights come on at 4:30 am each morning. They turn off just after sunrise. The lights are a few stings of Christmas icicle lights they are strung mostly in the windows that face east. My "theory" is this simulates sunrise. The girls move to the run shortly after the lights come on. This has worked for me. YMMV

Attachments

• lights.jpg
    lights.jpg
    551.9 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom