Collapsed egg hanging out of vent

Pics
Low coccidia counts are normal as coccidia are always present in the soil. Normal immune systems support normal body functions, digestive tract moves material through and doesn't allow coccidia to conduct their life cycle and multiply and there are too few coccidia to cause problems.

Abnormally high coccidia populations in the soil caused by wet warm conditions can get into the chicken's intestines at a much higher amounts, thus overwhelming the system, causing coccidiosis as the intestinal lining becomes inflamed from so many coccidia.

What prevents them from getting sick is that the chickens build up resistance to a particular coccicia strain, and they are unable to find a happy environment to dig in to conduct their life cycle.
Okay, thanks, great information.

Quick question:
We've had snow and low temps. (at night as low as teens). I have not added any supplemental heat and everyone seems to be warm enough.

I am noticing a lot of runny poops. Can this be from the cold and snow?

Flo (the usual suspect) started molting a few weeks ago, so I've been putting out some high protein treats (mostly our left over chicken). I'm worried that this could be causing the runny poop.

Occasional runny poop is normal as long as all of the chickens are behaving normally. Changes in diet can cause variations in poop. Probably more water was consumed after eating the meat.

Back
Top Bottom