Collapsed egg hanging out of vent

I am checking her crop first thing in the morning before she has access to food.

She seems to be acting normally. She's active, scratching when she free ranges. Definitely drinking although I haven't seen her eat, but I've been at work.
I'd give her coconut oil 2X a day and massage the crop if it's firm in the mornings.

If she's acting normal and relatively active, it may just be one of those things you observe her for a few days and see if things work out on their own.

How much cocunut oil?

I was reading @azygous article. Does this sound like an impacted crop?
Amounts are in the article.
Coconut oil can be used for slow, sour, impacted, etc. it's a start to treating crop problems. See if the crop clears up with coconut oil and massage.
It sounds like she's getting along o.k. Do keep in mind that often the crop issues are the result of another underlying condition.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

A lot of things I've been reading talk about the importance of grit. They do have access to it, but I'm not sure of a good way to ensure that she is eating it. They do free range, although less now that it's dark so early.

If it's available, you can probably assume she's eating it. Same with oyster shell. They don't need a lot of either one, so it's hard to tell if the volume in the dish is going down, but chances are good they are taking what they need.

okay good to know. We've been doing the coconut oil and massage. Afterward it seems to soften up, but in the mornings she still has that hardish ball in her crop. I will keep at it with the coconut oil. She is still active and acting normal.

I feel like there is some blockage or something. I really would like to avoid it but I wonder if a vet would be able to figure out what was in there. I'd imagine that would involve some type of imaging which must cost a fortune :(

A lot of things I've been reading talk about the importance of grit. They do have access to it, but I'm not sure of a good way to ensure that she is eating it. They do free range, although less now that it's dark so early.
I'd just provide grit (crushed granite) and oyster shell free choice in their coop or run.
Most of the time the birds will pick out what they need.

You're right, Grit is an important part of helping the gizzard and digestive system function properly.

About three days ago we went to check our chickens. Our Easter Egger who is 7 months old had what looked like a long white tube hanging out of her vent. After some research we learned that it was a collapsed egg and subsequently saw egg coming out. Her vent looks normal now. I believe she is pooping, but will need to watch her more closely to be certain. She has been a great layer for the past few months with good hard shells laying almost every day. Since that day she has not laid again.

She is on layer feed w/ oyster shell. I've read that we should give her calcium supplements, but couldn't get her to eat it!

Should I be worried that she is not laying?

Thanks.
The same thing happened to one of my girls, Missy, towards the beginning of her first big molt earlier this year. She was just standing around with a collapsed egg hanging out of her. I put on gloves, picked her up, and got it out of her, then cleaned her vent gently with water, gave her lots of pets and love, and let her jump down when she was ready. It hasn't occurred since, for any of my girls, and Missy seems to be fine. She's a really laid-back chicken, by far the quietest of the flock, but she'll let you know when she's upset about something.

Update on Flo.
So we've been doing coconut oil and massage for over a week and her crop is still not emptying in the morning. So yesterday we brought her to the vet. They x-rayed and could see that there was a mass of what looked like grit in her crop but everything appeared to be clear. She did test positive for coccidiosis also. So the vet recommended switching to medicated feed.

He perscribed her Reglan and Lactulose. He also told us that she is very underweight and that she should not lose any more weight. I'm not home during the day to watch what she eats so for the past day we have been bringing her in to eat. She has been offered soldier flies, yogurt, scrambled eggs and scratch (not all at the same time), but she is really not taking much.

Given the circumstances I'm thinking we need to consider tube feeding her. I have the equiptment. Any thoughts or advice?

Back
Top Bottom