Drawing up my coop

idrankwhat

Hatching
7 Years
Jun 9, 2012
Sitting here with paper and pencil drawing up my coop to be.
Carpentry and design, I'm not a newbie. Chickens, well that's a different story. Had them when I was too young to remember much other than the rooster kept getting out but usually came back.
Need some basic dimensions for stuff.
My coop is going to be 4'x8'x6' so I can walk in to clean it up and a little 4'x3' storage room so the actual hen area will be 4'x5'.
Do not see many floor plans on the web site. Most pictures are of the completed coops without any dimensions other than outside.
Going to put the laying section extended out from the back so that I can lift a door upwards and grab the eggs from outside.
What are the standard dimensions for a laying area?
The plan is putting it about 2 feet up from the floor.
Figure I only need maybe 3 or 4 laying areas since I just plan on 4 to 6 chickens. That might be overkill for that few chickens.
What size should the door be for chickens to go in and out of the coop?
What is the basic design for the ramp? How far apart are the steps? Width probably equal to door width.
I am assuming the coop should be 2 feet off the ground.

Last edited:
Good luck with your coop!

There are soooo many options for design. Have you checked out the coop section? Some folks have added a lot of details and pictures to their process.

My tip is to make the run larger than you think you need (unless they will be free range). You are correct in your thinking that 3-4 layer boxes are overkill for 4-6 chickens. I have four and they have one double wide box. Make sure that your roost is higher than the nesting boxes or they will end up sleeping (and messing in) the nests.

Have fun creating
smile.png

yes, many solutions online,
from what I read - the door 12X12"
and the laying box about 14X?
my neighbor has many chickens and says they use only 2 boxes

Back
Top Bottom