Dreaming of buying a "homestead"

thank you , it's fun, I figure we should just go slow and enjoy the process, just have fun.

today we worked outside built a retaining wall , picked up rocks and raked.

thank you , it's fun, I figure we should just go slow and enjoy the process, just have fun.

today we worked outside built a retaining wall , picked up rocks and raked.
I'm looking at the costs of building a place on land I found in our destination range cheap. $1,000 an acre, not landlocked, and with utilities avaliable (other than septic/plumbing, would have to check if that meant on site or how much to run it to the house).

we could not buy a water meter at our first place, the water was there but they would not let us hook up. Have the seller either buy a meter or somehow put water in the contract.

we could not buy a water meter at our first place, the water was there but they would not let us hook up. Have the seller either buy a meter or somehow put water in the contract.
If we go that route I would definately make sure utilities are in place! I just got done doing a rough cost estimate for a 1300 sq ft build and I'm under $80,000 including the land so far which includes septic, foundation, electrical, plumbing, shell house, interior walls, kitchen, bathroom, and flooring costs. I tried to estimate higher although I'm sure unexpected costs will come up and I didn't include any permit costs..

The land we are looking at does have a lot of trees though, so we may be able to save recoup money by selling timber =)

Either way, I'm just looking at our options now. It is likely my husband will get a job in this area =)

Our current house costed more than that and its on 1/3 acre and needed remodeling and more work! Once/If Hubby gets the job I'll be calling around to get estimates to make sure I have an accurate budget, and we will have to list our current house and sell it! I'm just anxious to move to the country!

yI dont know if you ever look at the site but i found my property on www.landsofamerica.com , well actually i used landsofmissouri.com, but it's the same thing just national. I am looking for more property so I am always on there, we want something on the creek , a little getaway. 1/2 an acre or so that we can just relax at

im my area you can get a almost finished cabin, mostly off grid with plenty of land and all utilities for a lot less than , I was just looking at 25 acreas for $50K that had two tiny houses, septic water and electricity on site...even more excited about this 40 acres for 45k i just found
Lucky! Not where we are looking at. The 20 acres I'm looking at is only $20,000 though, so its a steal. The only house I have found is on 16 acres for $58,000 but its a total gut job which makes me prefer building my own, because even gutting it there are some things that aren't changeable.

Do you live in a area with many jobs? If there are few jobs it drives property prices down.

yI dont know if you ever look at the site but i found my property on www.landsofamerica.com , well actually i used landsofmissouri.com, but it's the same thing just national. I am looking for more property so I am always on there, we want something on the creek , a little getaway. 1/2 an acre or so that we can just relax at
I haven't used that site, but it didn't bring up anything in the area we are looking at. I do see what you mean though. I found 4 nice houses on over 12 acres (one was 25) for under 75k!

plenty of jobs if you want to drive for 30 minutes,it is 30/40 minutes to the northwest arkansas metro area you know wal-mart home offices and all that jazz, 30 minutes from everywhere it seems. no stores close at all, nothing. it's how I like it so its a big plus. I only work for myself

I am seriously considering buying a small house in one of the local towns to fix up just for fun, probably never live in it , just save it. maybe give it to my sister

Back
Top Bottom