Drooling chicken

Jonessa

Songster
5 Years
Apr 20, 2017
Vancouver Island
Hi all! I have a 3 year old GLW who has recently been drooling a bit and head shaking. It's not constant, more like every few minutes, and it's been going on for about 4 days. She'll be walking around, eating, acting normal, then shake her head and drool flies out, sometimes a string of it lands back on her face. I've also noticed that leaves that she pecks off but then rejects are covered in slimy drool when she drops them. Otherwise she seems normal: eating and drinking, laying eggs, moving and vocalizing. No discharge from the eyes or nostrils, and no weird smells. I have her isolated just in case, but would love to hear your thoughts on what might be going on.

I started a thread about my own drooling chicken recently. After googling around, I was thinking she might have a slow crop. I didn't think she had a sour or impacted crop because the drool was clear and didn't smell or anything. Check your chickens crop in the morning before she eats. If it's still full then you might have crop issues.

I agree with crowber I had this same issue and was sour crop. her food didn't empty and it went sour. i gave her only water for 3 days with apple cider vinegar 1 teaspoon for her whole feeder, about half a gallon and after that she was fine.

if their is any sneezing and runny nose get her checked for respitory infection
as a different chicken i had had the same and turned out to be sick, 5 days antibiotics helped her. it can be lots of things. if she walks with her wings hanging down shes getting too hot, discontinue corn as corn can over heat a chicken etc i seen one of my chickens drool because she was over heated this is why i say this.

goodluck, hope shes ok!

I agree with crowber I had this same issue and was sour crop. her food didn't empty and it went sour. i gave her only water for 3 days with apple cider vinegar 1 teaspoon for her whole feeder, about half a gallon and after that she was fine.

if their is any sneezing and runny nose get her checked for respitory infection
as a different chicken i had had the same and turned out to be sick, 5 days antibiotics helped her. it can be lots of things. if she walks with her wings hanging down shes getting too hot, discontinue corn as corn can over heat a chicken etc i seen one of my chickens drool because she was over heated this is why i say this.

goodluck, hope shes ok!

Three days seems like a long time! But maybe I should give that a try. I'll check her crop tomorrow morning. She's still the same, drooling and shaking her head intermittently throughout the day. She's maybe a bit quieter than usual, and sometimes her comb looks pale, but sometimes it's normal. No sneezing or runny nose, and definitely not too hot here, it's been an unusually cool summer thus far.

Back
Top Bottom