Droopy neck, 14 week old bielefelder

PNW keeper

Chirping
Mar 29, 2022
I have a 14 week old bielefelder and suddenly she is exhibiting droppy neck like she can barely pick her head up. No obvious injuries.

Any idea of what it could be?

I’ve separated her from the rest of the flock.

See video,

Wry neck or a droopy neck cannbe a sign of a head/neck injury, a vitamin E deficiency or can be a neurological symptom of something like Mareks disease. She also might be dehydrated and not getting enough food due to her low pecking order. I would place her inside a dog crate with her own food and water within the flock, so they can still see her.
I prefer not to separate away from the flock, since a picked on chicken, will be harder to get back in the flock.

I would offer her human vitamin E 400 IU 1 soft gel orally once a day. Just pop it into her beak. Feed her a little scrambled egg and moistened feed. Human vitamin B complex 1/2 tablet daily crushed into a spoonful of water or in food is also good.

I am not a fan of scratch and peck feeds since they may pick out the most desired parts first, and deficiencies can occur. Sometimes the vitamins or minerals are just powdery and can be left behind. A homologous layer or all flock feed, either crumbles or pellets, would be less likely separated, and each bite would be the same. Let us know if the vitamins help her.

Wry neck or a droopy neck cannbe a sign of a head/neck injury, a vitamin E deficiency or can be a neurological symptom of something like Mareks disease. She also might be dehydrated and not getting enough food due to her low pecking order. I would place her inside a dog crate with her own food and water within the flock, so they can still see her.
I prefer not to separate away from the flock, since a picked on chicken, will be harder to get back in the flock.

I would offer her human vitamin E 400 IU 1 soft gel orally once a day. Just pop it into her beak. Feed her a little scrambled egg and moistened feed. Human vitamin B complex 1/2 tablet daily crushed into a spoonful of water or in food is also good.

I am not a fan of scratch and peck feeds since they may pick out the most desired parts first, and deficiencies can occur. Sometimes the vitamins or minerals are just powdery and can be left behind. A homologous layer or all flock feed, either crumbles or pellets, would be less likely separated, and each bite would be the same. Let us know if the vitamins help her.

I’ve separated her to her own space, but brought her into my garage since we have some especially hot weather today.

Ordered the Vit E and B complex. Should arrive later today.

Regarding Marek’s disease…
I had this in my flock last year. I lost a few. I accidentally got some chicks that weren’t vaccinated and lost 3 of 5. So I do have a Marek’s positive flock. However, this wryneck chicken has been vaccinated at birth. Is she still susceptible to the disease?

I also currently have a 1 year old hen who has had a limp the past week, clearly on one leg, but no apparent injury. She is still out and about and still laying. I’m less concerned about her. She is also vaccinated against Marek’s.

Any other thoughts?

We’ve had her on the Vit E and B complex for 3 days now and she has seen great improvement.

Day 1 she was laying almost lifeless, unable to stand and her neck was all crooked and moving all over the place. I was sure this was a one direction outcome. To my surprise her neck is about 90% back to normal, she can sit and come to her feet. Still with occasional odd movements, but dramatically improved.

I fully separated her from the flock, since I could keep a better eye on her in my garage, plus temps are more stable.

She is now eating and drinking on her own. But she is not walking great, still quite unstable.

I have fears around Marek’s disease because I know it is present in my flock as I lost 3 last year that were unvaccinated, however all my current birds were vaccinated at birth. I’m wondering though if this one is showing symptoms of it though.

It is possible she’s been picked on and taken some pecks to the head which I know can cause some neurological issues.

Any thoughts around Marek’s among a vaccinated flock?

Thanks in advance.

Back
Top Bottom