Drop-on Ivermectin Question

basicliving

Keepin' the sunny side up
11 Years
Mar 20, 2008
Shenandoah Valley, VA
I've read a few posts where people talk about using "drop-on ivermectin" - to put between the shoulders of chickens. Is this a specific product, or is it the same as cattle ivermectin that, rather than injecting, you use as drops on chickens between their wings?

Thanks,
Penny

Last edited:
Thank you for responding. Yes, I've seen several that mention the drop on ivermectin, that's why I thought I'd ask for specifics about it. One led me to believe it was the cattle type injectable ivermectin that is used as drop on for chickens, but I'm just not sure.

Can anyone clarify it?

Thank you,
Penny

drop on ivermectin is for cattle and can be used for chickens
and yes it is just drop on and will work for the chickens in the same way
they tell you to use the skin of the neck as it has volume and the drops go immediately into the body

any questions email me

HERE IS THE IDEA
THE 1% WATER SOLUBLE IS FOR INJECTION WITH PROPOLENE GYLCOL OR WATER
Otherone is the drop on neck method
the 5% oil based pour on
sucks into the skin immediately as droped on

Only 1% water soluble is orally or shot given
it is diluted with water (which is hard to mix) or propolene gylcol
I think 5 drop of propolene glycol to 1 drop of 1% soluble kind

AND THE
5% OIL BASED DROP ON IS JUST THAT
IT IS DROPED BY DROPS ON THE NECK SKIN NOT THE FEATHERS

AND YES IT IS CATTLE IVERMECTIN ONLY

AS THE MED COMPANY DOES NOT TEST IT FOR THE CHICKENS NO MONEY IN IT

IT LAST A LONG TIME

i HAVE PUT UP A ARTICLE ON USING iVERMECTIN
DO A SEARCH ON byc
FOR GLENDA HEYWOOD iVERMECTIN USE

AND SHOULD BRING UP MY ARTICLES AND TELLS HOW TO DO IT

Directions for 5% ivomec with oil base put on shoulder
only not internally.
(1 1 drop small bantam such as female OE
(2 2 drops large bantam male like OE
(3 3 drops most bantams
(4 4 drops larger bantams and smaller commercial hens
(5 5 drops commercial large fowl and smaller large
fowl
(5 5 drops Large fowl chicken
(7 7 drops larger males of large fowl breeds of
Chickens.

(A 5% oil type Ivomec Stays on the birds for at least
6 weeks. and is the reason it is only used on the out
side under the feathers on the shoulder of the
chickens. Slow release time.

(B 1% water soulable is injectable and can be used in
the water. also given by mouth

the cattle pour on is 5% oil based droped on the neck skin
email me any questions

Glenda - thank you VERY much! I have seen the post you referenced, was just unsure if it was the usual cattle type ivermectin I typically see in feed stores.

To apply the drops, do you use a syringe with no needle? Any particular size?

it is a syringe and the drops come out okay
email PM "threehorses" and she will tell you
I will alert her for you
any questions email me

Hello. I just wanted to clarify some things about the ivermectin, since there seemed to be some questions.

First, yes - it's the cattle ivermectin. I usually buy generic as Ivomec seems to be very highly priced and rarely comes in smaller containers. My last container was Aspen brand, 250, and was $13.95. The ingredient is "ivermectin", not any other -mectin, for the dosage given. It's a blue liquid.

I use the syringe and needle to help make precise sized drops that come out one at a time (unlike droppers which sometimes come out two at a time for me) and that I can place precisely. I keep the needle horizontal and pointing off to the side, not towards the bird. That way if they wiggle, I won't poke them.

It's very important to find a spot on the main body that will give you about 1/2 inch of naked skin. I find that the feathers on the back of the neck have less fluff and that's where I usually end up. Preen through there, find a good spot, clear the bits of fluff away with your fingers of one hand, and use the other hand to apply the drop(s) onto the skin.

If it hits fluff, it will soak into the feather and you won't know whether or not it went into the system. I use normal skin, not comb or leg skin.

By the way, use this time to do a full exam of each bird. Check their weight, their feathering, for parasites, their breathing etc etc. It''s best if you make a journal when you do this.

Additionally, I usually recommend worming with Wazine as a first wormer if the bird hasn't been wormed in a year, or if they're of unknown origins. Use Wazine 17 (piperazine 17% solution) as labeled in their water for one day as the sole source of water. (Check the label to see how much Wazine to use per gallon of water.) That paralyzes adults roundworms, and a couple of other worms. It neither kills nor paralyzes larvael stages, and since it's designed to be repeated it won't even effect all adults - but that's what you want.

If a bird has an unnoticed heavy parasite load (and you cannot go by the droppings on this one - only a fecal egg count) then sloughing all the worms at once can sometimes cause the bird to go into shock or to have blockage as all the paralyzed worms try to pass out of the body.

So I practice the wise tradition or worming light the first time, and then in 2 weeks going back and worming with a more full-spectrum strong wormer like ivermectin, levamisole, or fenbendazole. After that, I just worm with ivermectin twice yearly without the pre-wormer, or as a fecal egg count dictates.

My choice, ivermectin, will also kill larvae of roundworm which is important because the larvae will develop into adults and reinfect your birds. So one the second wormer, I like to kill them all. The one common worm it won't kill is tapeworms. Few wormers do. You have to spot treat for that.

I hope this helps.
smile.png

Ivermectin for cattle is what I used and it worked great.
One thing to note that has not been said yet on this thread - you should wait 2-3 weeks after the last treatment before eating the eggs from a treated hen. Throw them away. Also if you have disposable gloves it is wise to wear them as the stuff can cause a reaction in humans.

that is interesting info
as the use of Ivermectin is given by Mareks company to humans in third world countries for eye river blindness

it is caused around the rivers bu a fly that lays eggs in the peoples skin and then turns into a eye worm and causes blindness

several yrs ago mareks company started sending Ivermectin tablets to these people twice a yr and it is helping to take the eye worm out of their system

so maybe there are people that are reactors to ivermectin but generally it does not hurt you

also you can feed the eggs to cats and dogs as the worm medicine will not hurt them

any questions email me

Back
Top Bottom