Ivermectin Dosage - homework done, need clarification please!

HeritageFan

Songster
Premium Feather Member
Sep 21, 2022
Using Ivermectin pour on
5mg per mL

One group of rescue ducks that have an active infestation.
The rest of the birds on the property just as maintenance/ to play it safe despite no signs of mites.
No one is laying rn, due to age or the season, depending on the group- so egg withdrawal is not currently a concern.

@azygous stated on another thread:
“For adults. 2-3 drops for small chickens. 3-4 drops for medium size, 5-6 drops for roosters and large hens. The drops are placed on the back of the neck. “

@Eggcessive, on another thread, recommends 0.1ml per 2# of weight.

@casportpony said

Anyone know the dosing for ivermectin pour-on when the concentration is 5mg per ml? I have a 6 pound duck.
Yes, apply no less than 0.27 ml to the skin. You can safely give up to twice that amount.

Math:
6 / 2.2 x 0.5 / 5 = 0.27 ml”

Which is much less than 0.1 per 2#
(That would have been 0.6 mL for a 6# duck)

I don’t want to overdose anyone!
But I’m dealing w adult ducks and turkeys, ranging from 4.5# to 40#

All of these people give fantastic advice, but, I don’t know which way to go on this....

Anyone who has had success getting the mites to go away/ stay away - please let me know what was successful for you!

@Miss Lydia
@aart
@TwoCrows
@Molpet

@azygous stated on another thread:
“For adults. 2-3 drops for small chickens. 3-4 drops for medium size, 5-6 drops for roosters and large hens. The drops are placed on the back of the neck. “
Drops are a great way to underdose. Best not to do it.

Math:
6 / 2.2 x 0.5 / 5 = 0.27 ml”
The "minimum" effective pour-on dose is 0.5mg/kg
1 / 2.2 x 0.5 / 5 = ~0.045 ml per pound.

The dose I would use is 1 mg/kg
1 / 2.2 x 1 / 5 = ~0.045 ml per pound.

I would give the following:
  • 4.5 pound duck
    • 4.5 / 2.2 x 1 / 5 = 0.4 ml
  • 6 pound duck
    • 6 / 2.2 x 1 / 5 = 0.55 ml
  • 40 pound turkey
    • 40 / 2.2 x 1 / 5 = 3.64 ml

Drops are a great way to underdose. Best not to do it.

The "minimum" effective pour-on dose is 0.5mg/kg
1 / 2.2 x 0.5 / 5 = ~0.045 ml per pound.

The dose I would use is 1 mg/kg
1 / 2.2 x 1 / 5 = ~0.045 ml per pound.

I would give the following:
  • 4.5 pound duck
    • 4.5 / 2.2 x 1 / 5 = 0.4 ml
  • 6 pound duck
    • 6 / 2.2 x 1 / 5 = 0.55 ml
  • 40 pound turkey
    • 40 / 2.2 x 1 / 5 = 3.64 ml
Thank you so very much for yet again being a rock star!! :bow

I can calculate the younger turkeys amd hens from this formula- I appreciate it like you can’t believe :hugs

Here is where I got the 0.1 ml per 2 pounds or 0.05 ml per 1 pound dosage for 5 mg per ml ivermectin pour on for chickens:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/control-treatment-of-worms-in-chickens/
Thank you!!
Although.... I may never recover from seeing the pix there of worms inside the eggs 😶

This round is for mites in a group of rescue ducks we have on the property, and as a preventative measure as I wasn’t as careful as I should have been moving between pens in the snow and ice :/ prevention is worth more than the cure for everyone else, I think.

I’ll be getting some Valbazen (sp?) soon, after seeing that!! :sick

@HeritageFan, do you already have the ivermectin?
Yes. I’m working on it now. But it’s also pouring rain (of course)I’m treating and putting them away as quickly as I can...

Coops are clean and they will be dry in their temp coop, but won’t be dry going in :/
I’m doing the best I can with what I have. Rescue ducks first. The other kids will get treated tomorrow (not supposed to be as wet)
Please let me know if you have any thoughts or suggestions - this problem is new to me but I’m very open to learning!

Yes. I’m working on it now. But it’s also pouring rain (of course)I’m treating and putting them away as quickly as I can...

Coops are clean and they will be dry in their temp coop, but won’t be dry going in :/
I’m doing the best I can with what I have. Rescue ducks first. The other kids will get treated tomorrow (not supposed to be as wet)
Please let me know if you have any thoughts or suggestions - this problem is new to me but I’m very open to learning!
So. If I assume an average of 4.5#
That is basically 2 kg x 0.5 (mg/kg) /5 (mg/mL).... that is 0.2 mL ?
A tick more for the slightly larger ducks?
But they are all close in size atm
The welshies are slightly larger than the runners - in the rescue pen. But the welshies are more affected by the mites than the runners as well :/

Back
Top Bottom