Drug test for welfare recipients

Nitrous

Songster
8 Years
Dec 28, 2011
Coeur d'Alene, ID
While I like the idea that my tax money does not fund someone else's drug problem, I wonder...

I do not have to submit to a pee test, for my Permit to Carry a Concealed weapon. I probably never will since there is no "Welfare Amendment" to the constitution, guaranteeing it as a right.

I would always be willing to submit to drug testing and am proud of that. I prefer employers who randomly screen employees and am a little surprised that there is no requirement to prove sobriety among those wishing to carry a firearm, concealed. :/

What do you all think? If the police have to submit to a test, should I as well? Arguably, for the police, it is "for their job" but...

I'm all for it. Tax dollars hard at work, not someone to blow it on recreational drugs and illegial RX drugs.

Two days ago, my hubby's employer had a major crackdown, having the Illinois state cops with drug sniffing dogs, checking out employees' cars, including the higher ups. Twenty people was arrested. That is about 1/3 of the work force at hubby's place. They do randomly pick people off the floor, take a pee test and if clear, they are free to go. Safety is the BIGGEST issue and CAT would not tolerate any employees having illegial drugs. If you take any RX drugs, you must bring the containers in so they can write it up on their records.

He has heard people getting reckless and getting hurt on the job, guess what. They found drugs on them. When hubby was working there in the first month, a forklift driver was reckless, gun the lift (one of the CAT engines) off the floor, knocking hubby and his two other co workers off their feet and one had her hand pinched because the forklift driver yanked the platform too quickly. After his supervisor yelled and reported the fork lift driver, the driver was sent for the pee test...guess what he didn't have a job, immediately fired and test positive for majorauna (sp).

Too many temp workers have drug in their systems, and such a very high turn over rate at hubby's place of work. SUCKS!

goodpost.gif
thumbsup.gif

I guess it all depends on why law enforcement is required to take random drug tests. If it's because they possess a firearm then sure, you might be able to make a case for randoms on permit holders. The drug testing welfare recipients makes sense. If you need to pass a drug test to get a minimum wage job the least you can do is pass a drug test to get free money.

I think they should do a hair test for the simple fact that some drugs will be out of the system in a couple days with the exception of marijuana and a test can easily be past if you know you have to take one.
A hair test will show how often,how much and ya can't fool them no matter what people say.
Most people with a decent job have to take some kinda drug test so why shouldn't people needing help have to after all if they are using the funds they receive for what they should be then there shouldn't be a problem right.

Where my DH works if there is an accident in his unit all involved are tested and anyone coming up dirty be it alcohol from a late night of drinking or drugs are terminated on the spot.

I'm all for welfare being drug tested. You do not have to have welfare and it might make it easier for people to get back on their feet if they are not taking drugs.

i can't imagine something like this becoming law. Although, it feels like it would be a good thing to do. But some welfare recipients are spending their money unwisely in other ways, too - expensive cell phones, jewelry, and other non-essentials. There certainly needs to be some kind of revision, as too many people see welfare as a way of life, rather than assistance through a tough time.

Back
Top Bottom