Postal cuts....will it affect baby chick shipments? Hatchery responds!

Quote:
Again, it's not just Postal employees that handle your package. I can't tell you how many times I've been to airports and seen those trams loaded with packages and luggage just sitting out on the tarmac waiting to be loaded in all kinds of weather. Your eggs could have very well been stored next to the engine cover in a truck and gotten too hot, or been shipped in an unheated cargo hold until they *almost* froze; not enough to swell and crack, but enough to kill the embryo. Anyway,I hope your future shipments go better for you.

I am sure this will impact Priority Mail here. I have always gotten my chicks in 2 days, even though they allow three. They will most likely close the Reading processing facility and all our mail will be processed in Harrisburg. No more Sunday calls from Reading. This will definitely be the end for the postal service. Less people will use it, since they can't get their stuff there on time. I will miss Saturday mail. It will be like malls, everyone was so excited when they started to be built in the 1960's & now many of us would give anything to not have to drive to some location to shop, but to walk down the main street of our towns & have every sort of Mom & Pop store you can imagine. JMHO

How can closing post offices and sorting centers not affect priority packages? Instead of going to Jackson to sort, now they will have to be sorted in Memphis:p

Quote:
That would be just fine if it were so. But laid off postal workers are considered to be "on stand by" and are still being paid their salary.

Last edited:
Interesting. My PO is probably 2-3 miles farther away than the closest PO to my house. I called the P.O. today because I am getting chicks tomorrow morning and they said all packages like that in the area are now handled by the PO closer to my house (due to budget cuts). Win-Win!

montyhp
So TX

Quote:

I agree it's nice to hear from Hatcheries so we don't worry about ordering chicks
fl.gif

fl.gif

fl.gif

Something else we don't need to worry about..

My dad's cousin worked for the PO for 10 yrs. Of that 10 yrs he was postmaster for 4 yrs in a town with less than 200 people in it. He gets over $5,000.00 per month in retirement plus full health care and the works. RIDICULOUS!!!! My dad who spent 23 years with the Air Force and had a top security clearance only gets $1064.00 with health care? The PO think they have a stress full job, I don't think so. Are they ever called to a foreign country? or do they fear for their lives from a loose dog is considered hazard pay? When you or me retire we don't expect our old jobs to pay us and give us free health care for the rest of our lives do we? This man (cousin) is also collecting retirement from 2 other jobs, one while he was postmaster and the other where he worked for 10 yrs and is now claiming that he now has ptsd from driving semi in the oil fields which caused him to get fat and he no longer likes himself. Ha...ha This man is 77yrs old and also won't file income taxes because he worked for his money. Like any of us haven't? I sure wish I could have a hard time living within $9,000 month plus SS. I had to open his bank statement for him to give him his balance one day when he was visiting his kids. To bad I couldn't be his kid only I would ge stuck with the old COOT!!!!!!

My local post office closed a couple years ago (I think the PO let the lease go as a cost saver but called it "lease disagreement"). So our next closest is 8 miles away, maybe, in Sumerduck. But somehow the chicks only make it to the Culpeper area office 25 miles away. I just spent $30 in gas (because all I had was the truck) to pick up chicks that I wasn't called about TILL NOON on Friday. So of course I had to go get them, since who knows what would have happened on Saturday. This is the second time this has happened. Officially, the chicks should have come in to the area office (Culpeper) early am and been put on the truck with the mail for the local office (Sumerduck). The chicks were shipped the 7th (the day they were hatched at Townline) but I wasn't called till noon on the 9th. You can tell that the PO system just doesn't work smoothly and connections aren't being made when they should. I'm sure this is hard on hatcheries who try to get their chicks out before the weekend.

Back
Top Bottom