Drug test for welfare recipients

Oregon Blues wrote: It's looking suspiciously like the opposition here doesn't want the government interfering with their right to smoke marijuana.
One would have to be missing the vein with Mr. S. Holme's needle to float so dubious a deduction. The argument is to be taken-up with the oh-so liberal :lol: Justice Clarence Thomas. I'll let him speak for himself (from the same dissent in GvR):
“Even the majority does not argue that respondents’ conduct is itself “Commerce among the several States.” Monson and Raich neither buy nor sell the marijuana that they consume. They cultivate their cannabis entirely in the State of California – it never crosses state lines, much less as part of a commercial transaction. Certainly no evidence from the founding suggests that “commerce” included the mere possession of a good or some purely personal activity that did not involve trade or exchange for value. In the early days of the Republic, it would have been unthinkable that Congress could prohibit the local cultivation, possession, and consumption of marijuana.”
Oregon Blues wrote: Me, I am thinking I resent it when I work hard in order to pay the rent , food, and medical of someone who spends their day laying on the couch, watching TV, stoned on meth, or heroin, or whatever, and I will include booze here. As far as I am concerned, if they don't want to be drug tested, they can go and get a job and pay for their own rent, food, and medical. I also resent it when the dopers sell their food stamps and buy dope instead of feeding their kids with the money they were given to feed their kids. Because that is money that the government has taken away from me so that I no longer have it to feed my own children. I consider it a violation of my rights, to take money away from my family to support lazy slugs who ought to be capable of working, but would just rather not. do not resent the assistance given to people who really need it, but I would be quite happy to see the cheats removed from the welfare rolls.
I object to both the method (cost-benefit analysis reveals that the testing is a wash at best) and the insulting way it is being promoted: that similiar legislation has been introduced in twenty-two State Legislatures this calendar year is no indication that drug testing has suddenly become an excellent means of reducing fraud; it is, rather, as Shakespeare would put it "proof of something much too round". My response, to paraphrase Mr. Wales, "don't urinate (sic) down my back and tell me it's raining" If those State Legislators were serious they would actually get together and promote `real' fraud squashing $$$$. Thereby saving real money - but that is not their motive, is it? The problem with the `96 Personal Responsibility `reform' act (Clinton+Gingrich job) is that each State was allowed to implement it as they liked it. Some States are doing a pretty good job (Texas/Louisiana), some absolutely suck: (Pennsylvania, Maine). Take PA, for instance: An independent investigative panel was set up to look into the system. Two different Gov.s./administrations wouldn't force the State Welfare Agency to turn over their records or otherwise cooperate: http://www.auditorgen.state.pa.us/reports/Performance/Special/speEBT091411.pdf Louisiana? Their DFCS, by implementing the use of biometrically tagged `smart cards', in a single program (taxpayer subsidized child care - so parents can go to work), is saving $1.5 million a month (no more double billing/billing when child isn't there, etc).. They use GIS (geographical information services) to get real time reads on where WIC, etc. cards are being used and what is being charged. http://www.nascio.org/awards/sti/ http://www.informationbuilders.com/applications/st_louisiana Drug testing? It has its place (objective use) but to think the actual results of blanket random testing (get a few individuals not to sign-up at all/kick a few out//plenty of bark and dulled teeth) impacts either meaningful decreases in end user or private provider fraud? Keep in mind, biggest individual client fraud is working under the table for cash to supplement benefits. I want ALL money to be tagged bio-metrically (abstracted fingerprint) to the client. When the client leaves the system all identifying personal info is expunged from the system, but the state owns the rest of the data (predictive analysis, etc). Get tired of reading stories, here in Missouri, about food stamps selling for sixty cents on the dollar. `Nothing to hide' should apply to the State Agencies/private providers contracted by those agencies as well as the clients. ed:formatting

Last edited:
People are always too willing to give up other people's rights. I've been fortunate enough to have never needed welfare, but am against mandatory drug testing. Should we start monitoring people's junk food intake too? It seems to me that the "War on drugs" has cost us so much more than any actual drug use or abuse. On top of that, I also think doctors are the biggest drug dealers out there.

The military would not agree with that. When you take free money you agree to the terms and if the terms say pee in the cup you pee in the cup. This would be voluntary in exchange for services. Drug testing is hardly a comparison to freedom of speech. Food stamp benefits require the surrender of personal information and disclosure of your assets, is that unconstitutional? When "the people" make me support those that are able bodied to work or decided to have kids with no income is an infringement of my right of pursuit of happiness.

freedom is freedom whether your black or poor or purple....

And the lazy are always ready to take advantage of the rights of the working class also lest not forget that.

People are always too willing to give up other people's rights. I've been fortunate enough to have never needed welfare, but am against mandatory drug testing. Should we start monitoring people's junk food intake too? It seems to me that the "War on drugs" has cost us so much more than any actual drug use or abuse. On top of that, I also think doctors are the biggest drug dealers out there.

If there is 200 people in that community wanting a government check then there is probably enough work for 200. An I am sure most people are ok with spending $10,000 to get a road repaved or what ever else you need done as opposed to just giving away $10,000 to 200 people for siting home watching TV.

I meant how is a bus going to take 200 people to work.

woo hoo more drugs for us working folk then!
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom