Drunk, lethargic hens

invermax is broad spectrum for worms.. so that leaves us nutrition, virus, bacteria, potentially protozoans... the last is highly unlikely, viral is impossible to deal with after infected, so your only option is improving nutrition and giving an antibiotic... maybe ampicillin which addresses both gram + and Gran - bacteria...

Take a poop sample to the vet (I had to call around to find one that would test chicken poop but it only cost me $20). It could be coccidiosis. We struggled with that a lot last year and lost 4 hens all within 36 hours of their symptoms. Mostly lethargy. Treatment is easy though if that's what it is. Treat the whole flock with corrid. I'm not an expert, only know from experience, but we were struggling before we were able to diagnose our sick hen with coccidia. We saved the most recent sick hen and haven't had problems since.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/topic-of-the-week-coccidiosis.1204547/page-4#post-19115145

They act drunk, sitting around, not roosting, real lethargic. They can't survive 24 hours.

What type of food/treats do you feed?
Photos of your set up?

Give us a little more information - how long before you notice they act drunk and sit around until time of death - 24hrs, a few days, etc.?

Did this happen soon after your last treatment of the Ivermax? Can you have a fecal float performed by your vet?

It's just a guess, but what keeps coming into my mind is Botulism or getting into something toxic. Do they free range - look for anything dead, moldy, maggots or think about if any rat poison, weed killer, etc. has been used that they could have gotten into.

Check your feed for molds, rancid odors and expiration date. It won't hurt to try to start ruling out a few things - maybe buy a new bag of feed - look at the date on the bag and find one that has a date closest to today. You cleaned your water/feed stations, that's good. Provide them with fresh feed only and some poultry vitamins. If you have to give any treats, eliminate the scratch right now and give something fresh - kale, melon, cabbage, etc. This will help you determine if feed/scratch could be the problem. If they range, keep them enclosed in the run for a while. If you have no further problems, then there is something in their environment.

If you lose another one, sending the body to your state lab would be a very good idea
https://cvhs.okstate.edu/oaddl

Back
Top Bottom