Topic of the Week - Coccidiosis

Unfortunately, we have dealt with coccidiosis quite a bit. Last year we were clueless as to what it was, even after posting on this site multiple times about the symptoms. We lost a hen and 3 pullets last fall to it. Main symptom was just lethargy. We were calling it "sleepy chicken disease" because we couldn't diagnose it. I even took one of the pullets to the vet because I wanted answers and they ended up putting her down and doing an autopsy...even then I wasn't given a good answer. I was told she had an infection that spread to her heart. Anyways, all that frustration aside...we learned about coccidia the hard way.

A few months ago, my boyfriend's favorite chicken Brienne of Tarth (Bri) got "sleepy chicken disease". We were determined to save her so I took a stool sample to the vet immediately and they told me there was coccidia in her poop. 1 trip to the Farm Supply later and we had our cure!

From my experience, Corrid is a miracle cure. One dose and Bri was back on her feet. Funny story actually, we had her in a pen in the laundry room/pantry because it was so hot outside, and after one dose of Corrid she broke out and we found her laying eggs on the top shelf of our pantry lol. We kept her separated until the treatment was done and treated the entire flock, but she was the first hen with those symptoms that we were able to save! Thank goodness! Corrid saved our newest chicks as well.

If you have a lethargic chicken, definitely collect a stool sample, but don't wait to treat it! The first 4 we lost died within 36 hours of their symptoms!!

Sick Bri:
sleepy bri.JPG

Bri starting to feel better, clearly :lau :
Bri feeling better.jpg

Unfortunately, we have dealt with coccidiosis quite a bit. Last year we were clueless as to what it was, even after posting on this site multiple times about the symptoms. We lost a hen and 3 pullets last fall to it. Main symptom was just lethargy. We were calling it "sleepy chicken disease" because we couldn't diagnose it. I even took one of the pullets to the vet because I wanted answers and they ended up putting her down and doing an autopsy...even then I wasn't given a good answer. I was told she had an infection that spread to her heart. Anyways, all that frustration aside...we learned about coccidia the hard way.

A few months ago, my boyfriend's favorite chicken Brienne of Tarth (Bri) got "sleepy chicken disease". We were determined to save her so I took a stool sample to the vet immediately and they told me there was coccidia in her poop. 1 trip to the Farm Supply later and we had our cure!

From my experience, Corrid is a miracle cure. One dose and Bri was back on her feet. Funny story actually, we had her in a pen in the laundry room/pantry because it was so hot outside, and after one dose of Corrid she broke out and we found her laying eggs on the top shelf of our pantry lol. We kept her separated until the treatment was done and treated the entire flock, but she was the first hen with those symptoms that we were able to save! Thank goodness! Corrid saved our newest chicks as well.

If you have a lethargic chicken, definitely collect a stool sample, but don't wait to treat it! The first 4 we lost died within 36 hours of their symptoms!!

Sick Bri:
View attachment 1169914

Bri starting to feel better, clearly :lau :
View attachment 1169920
Did you put the Corid in her water or did you dose her another way?

Can mature chickens get coccidiosis without having symptoms noticed ?
Yes. Be aware that coccidia can be present in small numbers in a chicken's intestines and not make them sick. It's when the coccidia get to multiplying to large numbers that there is danger. This usually occurs during wet and warm months.

A simple and easy way to find out if a flock has dangerous levels of coccidia and coccidiosis is a dangerous possibility is to collect a random stool sample from the flock and take it to your vet to have a fecal float test done. It will tell you if coccidia are present in the stool and if they are approaching dangerous numbers. It will also tell you if intestinal worms are present and what kind. This test doesn't have to be done by an avian vet. Any vet can do it and it's inexpensive. Then, accordingly, you would treat not just one chicken, but the whole flock.

Yes. Be aware that coccidia can be present in small numbers in a chicken's intestines and not make them sick. It's when the coccidia get to multiplying to large numbers that there is danger. This usually occurs during wet and warm months.

A simple and easy way to find out if a flock has dangerous levels of coccidia and coccidiosis is a dangerous possibility is to collect a random stool sample from the flock and take it to your vet to have a fecal float test done. It will tell you if coccidia are present in the stool and if they are approaching dangerous numbers. It will also tell you if intestinal worms are present and what kind. This test doesn't have to be done by an avian vet. Any vet can do it and it's inexpensive. Then, accordingly, you would treat not just one chicken, but the whole flock.

And these days -- just pick up a microscope that hooks up to your computer monitor, which turns your whole screen into a slide. That and a few basic tools and you can do your own fecals right on the spot and skip the vet's office. =)

- runny poop, sad bird, bloody poop, lethargic bird, forgets how to eat or walk, death
- You can test for it but as soon as I see a symptom I put them on a low dose of meds
- Corid is the best and basically only treatment, there are treatment charts on BYC and I attached one.
- Make sure to clean up other animals poop as best you can. Keep poop out of their water. And I do a monthly treatment of preventative Corid.

In my opinion I think if is important to treat your birds as soon as they show symptoms. One Fock got coccidiosis and they showed one system, bloody poop, so when they finally got treated it was already basically killing the birds. 2 got chronic cases. One died of a seizure. One forgot how to walk and eat. I wasn’t able to save them all and now I always treat my birds. I never what what happened to their flock to happen to mine.

Back
Top Bottom