Topic of the Week - Coccidiosis

Most people who had high school biology know that cocci is the plural for a type of bacteria (coccus, bacillus, spirillum.) But when posting about coccidiosis and writing the whole word many times, I am guilty of also using cocci as an abbreviation for coccidia/coccidiosis.

I have never seen coccidiosis in my flock in almost 7 years. Azygous' method of placing a big clump of sod in a chick's brooder has always seemed to be helpful in prevention, whether it has been my good fortune, or has helped them gradually built up resistance. In my opinion, if chicks are kept in a super clean brooder for 5-6 weeks, then suddenly put out on soil, then it would be a huge change to be exposed to coccidia oocysts in the dirt. ?There are some coccidia in the chicks' gut, but soil is full of it. Chicks raised by broody hens tend to have a resistance due to their early exposure.

Coccidiosis is an intestinal disease that damages the tissue of the gut, causing bleeding which can be seen in poultry's droppings and is often the first good sign of what you are dealing with. Younger chickens (under 6 months) are more at risk as they haven’t yet had time to develop their natural immunity, however adult birds can also become affected. This week I would like to talk coccidiosis in more details. Specifically:

- Signs and symptoms
- How to accurately diagnose it
- What is the best treatment(s) and what natural treatments can be used in emergencies, to save the bird(s) affected
- What preventative measures can be taken against an outbreak in the flock?

For a complete list of our Topic of the Week threads, see here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive
Several of my chicks have had coccidiosis, I have treated them with corid, wormwood herb, with garlic and apple cider vinegar in water. I have had several get well, but a few seem not get well and have developed bulging eyes, see photo. Is this still coccidiosis
DSC_3375_resize.JPG
DSC_3375_resize.JPG
or something else?

Attachments

• DSC_3370_resize.JPG
    DSC_3370_resize.JPG
    224.2 KB · Views: 17
I have sadly had coccidiosis several times in my flock. Once very mild. Once fairly significant.

The mild I treated with extended amprolium based medicated feed. The significant infection I treated with Sulmet, which worked very well. After that, I fed medicated feed until point of lay.

Who gets coccidiosis, in my flock, largely depends upon where I get the chick.

Those that are broody hatched don't seem to have any problems.

Those I purchase at a feed store and then place with a hen, or worse, brood under heat lamp for a couple of weeks then place in grow out pen, have the problems.

I've also gotten young pullets from a breeder, put in isolation, and noticed they seemed to have problems (possibly brought with them).

I live in a wet, mild climate, that doesn't get long freezing winters, so coccidia tend to grow in my soil. Some areas of Oregon are horrible for coccidia...it is the bane of the area.

So, my best plan of action is to broody hatch and raise within my closed flock, bringing no chicks or birds in.

When I get the itch for a new breed that hasn't hatched from purchased eggs, I have resorted to purchasing chicks or pullets. I find that's when I've got to feed medicated feed to all chicks since I use the same brooding hutch/grow out pen.

Coccidia grow exponentially in infected birds who then leave the oocysts with their droppings. The soil can build up very quickly, so once you have an outbreak, it is easier and easier to get another unless careful measures are taken.

Since I had my worst outbreak several seasons ago, with feed store brooded chicks (they wouldn't foster well), I have turned over the pine shavings/soil (cleaned out, put in fresh). Fortuntately, we also had a good freezing winter this last year (yeah!) in which I left that broody hutch/pen fallow for 6 months. Then, before bringing into use again, I scrubbed it out with lots of hydrogen peroxide detergent (33% concentration....let soak...then rinse until clean).

This season, I haven't seen any problems again. I've also only grown chicks hatched under broodies.

Coccidiosis is a nasty infestation. Not only can it take a chick very quickly, sadly, it often leaves their guts compromised creating an unthriftiness that is hard to overcome. I also suspicion those remain susceptible and reinfect the flock or continue to create build up in the soil....hence my measures for control.

I do keep ACV in the water (raw with mother, no metal containers).as that is just a good acidifier for the gut, to help prevent coccidia build up. I also make sure my birds get good probiotics, another gut enhancer. Sadly, those won't treat a heavy infestation for me. Only meds seem to work for me for that.

Just my experiences in my neck of the woods.
LofMc

Last edited:
If you have a lethargic chick or adult chicken, beak gaping, stumbling around, preferring to lie down rather than run around engaging in normal activity, regardless of seeing blood in the droppings, I suspect cocci and treat with Corid. You don't need to have confirmation to treat and the time saved can save lives.

The way to accurately diagnose cocci is to get a stool sample to a vet or an agricultural lab and have a fecal float test performed to see if cocci eggs are present. But collect the stool samples before you begin the Corid treatment.

Corid (amprolium) is the best treatment as it inhibits vitamin B (thiamine) that the cocci parasites ( more than one species) thrive on. The best natural treatment, though not a cure, is probiotics that strengthen the immune system and gut culture to exclude the cocci parasites.

The best way to prevent cocci is to follow good bio-security practices because it can be spread from flock to flock on soles of shoes and borrowed implements. A flock that is immune to its local cocci may quickly sicken and die when exposed to cocci from another neighborhood.

Clean water and uncontaminated food are a must. Feeding on the ground isn't a good practice especially on damp soil. Good ventilation to promote a dry, clean environment is crucial. Overcrowding also should be avoided.

Exposing baby chicks to the local soil during the first couple weeks after hatch is an excellent way to inoculate them and help build immunity. Many of us toss a clump of grass still attached to the soil into the brooder for the chicks to eat and scratch at. You may also use medicated feed to help them build immunity to cocci. Cocci vaccine is also available, but you mustn't use medicated feed if your chicks have received this vaccine.

Cocci is present everywhere but it doesn't need to threaten your flock as long as you follow good management practices.
Coccidiosis is an intestinal disease that damages the tissue of the gut, causing bleeding which can be seen in poultry's droppings and is often the first good sign of what you are dealing with. Younger chickens (under 6 months) are more at risk as they haven’t yet had time to develop their natural immunity, however adult birds can also become affected. This week I would like to talk coccidiosis in more details. Specifically:

- Signs and symptoms
- How to accurately diagnose it
- What is the best treatment(s) and what natural treatments can be used in emergencies, to save the bird(s) affected
- What preventative measures can be taken against an outbreak in the flock?

For a complete list of our Topic of the Week threads, see here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive

Several of my chicks have had coccidiosis, I have treated them with corid, wormwood herb, with garlic and apple cider vinegar in water. I have had several get well, but a few seem not get well and have developed bulging eyes, see photo. Is this still coccidiosis
dsc_3375_resize-jpg.1166978
dsc_3375_resize-jpg.1166978
Looks like a respiratory infection.

My five year old barred rock hen got coccidiosis back in April.
She was dead within 2-3 days. She died on the 29th sometime during 1 AM or something like that, in her dog crate.
I live on a lake, so we get a lot of wild waterfowl (ducks, geese, etc) coming in the yard. I used to think the mallards were so cute, waddling up in the yard for their daily snacks. They even had names. :rolleyes:
One of my favorite ducks had the name "Squeegee"
Squeegee was a female mallard who had regularly visited the yard since she was a duckling with her mom, Runty.
Long story short, Squeegee was a diseased varmint (big surprise -_-) and gave My hen coccidia.
And now we have a fence. But i've created little monsters, they still fly in the yard.
dissapoint.png

My chicks with the bulging eye condition had coccidiosis, and the eye condition developed about 10 days after the coccidiosis. There were several hit with coccidiosis, and a few have developed the bulging eyes. Any recommendations for what this condition is or how to treat it?

My five year old barred rock hen got coccidiosis back in April.
She was dead within 2-3 days. She died on the 29th sometime during 1 AM or something like that, in her dog crate.
I live on a lake, so we get a lot of wild waterfowl (ducks, geese, etc) coming in the yard. I used to think the mallards were so cute, waddling up in the yard for their daily snacks. They even had names. :rolleyes:
One of my favorite ducks had the name "Squeegee"
Squeegee was a female mallard who had regularly visited the yard since she was a duckling with her mom, Runty.
Long story short, Squeegee was a diseased varmint (big surprise -_-) and gave My hen coccidia.
And now we have a fence. But i've created little monsters, they still fly in the yard. View attachment 1166999
Sorry you lost your baby to that, but glad you shared about the ducks. I was thinking about getting a duck from Runnings this coming spring (hatched from incubator). Do you think it would be an issue to have a baby duck if I have layers? We live in a lake town, but we are not near the water or park for any wild ones to wander into the yard. I am scared of any critters, especially squirrels & stray cats, so I keep a very close eye on my lovies.

My chicks with the bulging eye condition had coccidiosis, and the eye condition developed about 10 days after the coccidiosis. There were several hit with coccidiosis, and a few have developed the bulging eyes. Any recommendations for what this condition is or how to treat it?
You probably need to start the one with the bulging eye on antibiotics. Do you have any?

Back
Top Bottom