Dry fowl pox (how to manage in small coop with newly hatched chicks)

jesuisrififi

In the Brooder
Jul 3, 2023
Hello, everyone :)

This is my first post and I wanted to use it to clear out some doubts about fowl pox.

First of all, an 8 week old plymouth hen started to show little black scabs on her comb and eyes 5 days ago, so I immediately proceeded to isolate her from the rest of the flock. I have been monitoring the rest of the birds and they are all clear of symptoms for now.

IMG_0183.jpeg

On Saturday, my broody silkie hen hatched her four precious chicks.

IMG_0208.jpeg

I bought treatment for the hen with fowl pox to make her comfortable and I also bought a vaccine for the rest of the flock (2 roosters and 3 hens).

So my questions are:

1) I suppose it is too early to be able to vaccine the chicks, right?

2) Can I apply the vaccine to the unaffected birds? They have not shown signs of fowl pox but they were close to the infected chicken at the beginning.

3) If I can apply the vaccine, can I include the mother hen? I ask this because she has been broody, probably not eating too well, so I don’t know if the vaccine will affect her differently than the other chickens.

4) If I should apply vaccine to the mother, the baby chicks, won’t be affected by it, would they?

5) When can I reincorporate infected hen to flock?

I know it’s a lot of questions but I am panicking because I am a rookie backyard chicken parent, and I feel like I will lose my mind by now.

Thanks for you attention 🙌🏽🐣

Welcome To BYC

Your vaccine should have come with specific instructions on how and when to administer it. Which vaccine did you buy?
Thank you!

The vaccine I bought is HIPRAPOX.

I have looked up at vaccination instructions online but cannot seem to find any information on whether I can vaccinate chickens that were probably exposed to it, but are currently looking healthy and clear of the disease.
I ask this because the virus might be incubating and I don’t know if vaccine will weaken them.

Back
Top Bottom