DRY HATCH HUMIDITY ISSUE

KEarthman

Songster
Oct 27, 2020
We are incubating using the dry hatch method. We are in Texas, where there's almost always humidity. It is 75 degrees and 44 percent humidity in the room with the incubator. We try to keep the incubators between 15% and 30% humidity. But they have been high at 34 and 35%. Nothing we have tried has helped. They were just set 2 and a half days ago. Any suggestions? BTW-a cold front is blowing in tonight and it's going to be 30 degrees colder outside (in the 30's and 40's tomorrow) if that makes a difference. Would appreciate any help/ suggestions. Thank you!

We try to keep the incubators between 15% and 30% humidity. But they have been high at 34 and 35%.
It's actaully even impacted by how many eggs you have inside what size bator (in my experience).. but I've gone that low for really dark eggs.. and it's not usually needed.. 35% should be real good for most eggs including the alleged hard to hatch ones and is still drier than the average of what's suggested by common sources!

Is this your first time incubating? Are all your vents open? Are you dependending on built in thermo/hygrometers.. or using something calibrated?

Happy hatching! :fl :jumpy:jumpy

It's actaully even impacted by how many eggs you have inside what size bator (in my experience).. but I've gone that low for really dark eggs.. and it's not usually needed.. 35% should be real good for most eggs including the alleged hard to hatch ones and is still drier than the average of what's suggested by common sources!

Is this your first time incubating? Are all your vents open? Are you dependending on built in thermo/hygrometers.. or using something calibrated?

There are two 12 egg incubators, each with 6 BCM eggs. We have incubated before. We switched to dry hatch a year or so ago and it has been easier with better results. We try to keep the humidity between 15-30%, per instructions we were given a long time ago. Usually don't have this issue with the humidity. The incubators show the info, and we also have a hygrometer in the room.

I've hatched sooo many times. Had my humidity fluctuate..sooo many times. If the eggs were fertile, usually did ok. I usually didn't let the humidity go below 30. 30 to 50. 50 being for lockdown. Once eggs started to pip..humidity went up on its own of course. I would even lift the lid to lower it when it would get too high.

If you are going to try dry hatch then just do it. There are a lot of success stories. Or, use your normal routine and try dry hatching on another group.

I never add water to our crappy little Chinese incubators. But, we're in a humid climate.
Yes you are! We're in Utah. Wet for now..dry later. ;)

Back
Top Bottom