Dry Incubation or Normal Incubation?

Dry Incubation or Normal Incubation

• Dry Incubation

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • Normal Incubation

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
Ok thanks. I just looked at one. I don't like touching them all more than I have too. Day 2 there's a tiny air cell. I guess I just need patience (impossible
1f600.png
)

Ok thanks. I just looked at one. I don't like touching them all more than I have too. Day 2 there's a tiny air cell. I guess I just need patience (impossible
1f600.png
)
The air cell isn't really a significant size until day 7 anyway. Most air cell charts only mark days 7/14/18 for comparison. And patience is impossible for most of us when incubating/hatching....lol

I'm in southwestern Kentucky. I'm considering dry incubation next week- the humidity inside the room where the incubator will be reads 68-70%. Should I not add any water at all the first 18 days, then enough water so it is at 65-70% humidity for lockdown? Or should I add enough water to the incubator until the inside of the incubator reaches 35-40% humidity, if it isnt humid enough inside of it. Thanks ! Jo

I'm in southwestern Kentucky. I'm considering dry incubation next week- the humidity inside the room where the incubator will be reads 68-70%. Should I not add any water at all the first 18 days, then enough water so it is at 65-70% humidity for lockdown? Or should I add enough water to the incubator until the inside of the incubator reaches 35-40% humidity, if it isnt humid enough inside of it. Thanks ! Jo
welcome-byc.gif
This is the best info I can give you for determining humidity and running a low humidity incubation: http://letsraisechickens.weebly.com...anuals-understanding-and-controlling-humidity

well, with my two Janoel incubators (the Janoel 12 and the 48) I only add water until my hygrometer I put inside them reads between 40-55%. If it is real humid outside I may not have to add any water at all. Or sometimes, only needs a little bit. I only add water when it gets below 40% first 18 days, and I add a tiny bit at a time when it gets low until it is above the 40%. During the winter, when the air is dry I have to add a little more water than usual. For lockdown, I add tiny bits of water until it is at 65%. I dont go higher than this, because the humidity gets really high when the eggs start hatching open. Good luck!
hugs.gif

I've been pretty successful with the way I've been doing it, but I do humidity levels lower than a lot of others I've read. And there have been a few times I didn't need to add water at all, especially when it is rainy/wet outside and the humidity is high. I will try the dry method for the first 18 days next hatch with a few and see if I get better hatch rates. The humidity where I live seems to be perfect for trying the dry method. Thanks so much for the info!
highfive.gif

I only add water if my bator doesn't stay above 25%. I prefer 30%. If my bator doesn't hold 25%, I add a wet sponge and that usually holds it right about 30%. I don't use the water wells until lockdown. It's too hard to adjust with water wells. With the sponges I can add a sponge or remove a sponge easily. I use 75% at lockdown and hatch because I open my bator frequently during the hatch and even though it does often shoot up to 80-90% it doesn't stay there long....lol

My last hatch was 100% (20/20) the hatches before that (with the exception of my very first) was 80 and 90's percentile, (I have never set less than 20 eggs with my largest being 42) so I'm happy. Every incubation has improved greatly. I have NOT done shipped eggs, though I do plan at least one shipped egg incubation in spring, and that makes me nervous.

wow, awesome!
clap.gif
I would LOVE to get a 100% clutch hatched!! Of course, I've only hatched shipped eggs. The best I've gotten with shipped eggs is 80% but will be trying hatching some of my own in the spring. I am thinking it's better to hatch ones that are fresh and haven't been jostled around by the mail carrier. I am building separated pens inside my large coop for breeding right now. I am definitely taking your trick with the sponges and using that in my Janoel 48, I know exactly what you mean about the water wells in the bottom, makes me crazy every time during lockdown. Thanks so very much!
thumbsup.gif

wow, awesome! :clap  I would LOVE to get a 100% clutch hatched!! Of course, I've only hatched shipped eggs. The best I've gotten with shipped eggs is 80% but will be trying hatching some of my own in the spring. I am thinking it's better to hatch ones that are fresh and haven't been jostled around by the mail carrier. I am building separated pens inside my large coop for breeding right now. I am definitely taking your trick with the sponges and using that in my Janoel 48, I know exactly what you mean about the water wells in the bottom, makes me crazy every time during lockdown. Thanks so very much! :thumbsup   

Whatever you are doing is working great then, wow 80% on shipped eggs! I've done it twice now and got 1/12 and 2/12 hatch. Wish I could get rates like you! I'm going to hatch my own next time too. Also a janoel 48 here

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom