DS's Punishment

Quote:
I like that idea!!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
See I have to agree with this, that the kid probably just got up in the moment and wasn't thinking. I think a month off the 4-wheeler and having to volunteer is a great idea. How old is this child, that would be more helpful in knowing. My son drove his 4-wheeler with a helmet on around the yard at the age of 7 so his age makes a big difference in this.

Definately the age would matter on the punishment, a chhild of 8 would need to be "taught" what is acceptable if he got caught up in a "game" but if a 17 were to be wildly chasing animals I would say selling the 4-wheeler is something that I would consider
lol.png

Quote:
I agree, age is the key here...

Oh.. another question i forgot to ask earlier.. why does he owe you $20?? What happend? Just wondering since you added it in your origional post...

Last edited:
Just my opinion but I don't think age would be a factor for me at all, the 4 wheeler would be gone period. A lesson he would never forget...." you are responsible for your actions and suffer the punishment when you do wrong".

Steve

My 7 year old DS occasionally forgets how to behave and chases our hens. some of them are terribly flighty, and practically kill themselves trying to get away. When this happens he is chastised, and has an extra 5 hours of chores that he needs to finish before he gets any TV access... this helps him remember how animals should be treated for a while at least. You've got to punish them where it hurts, be it financial, ATV, TV, or no cell phone. if it doesn't 'hurt', it's not teaching them a lesson.

4-wheeler + teenager = trouble

I would bet that ain't the first time he has done something like that, maybe first time some one caught him. But not the first time.

Feels bad?
He feels bad because he can't ride/use 4-wheeler. Obviously he couldn't give a snot about your birds.

Got to ask------
What was he doing riding 4-wheeler while work was going on? House being built? Lots of teenager work to do!

He's 13.

He was helping DH get ready to start planting our winter wheat. He was just coming back to the house after helping to get the truck loaded with seed to be cleaned. That is why he was not helping to work on the house.
Never heard about him doing this before, DD is my spy. She tells me everything DS is doing outside.

I like the idea of making him clean both coops. Looks like he's got a job he is going to hate.
thumbsup.gif

redhen it had looked like he had run over one of my turkeys. I counted and all 11 were fine. He still owes me the money for chasing my birds. He better figure out how to get some in a hurry. He does not get an allowance. Hasn't had one in years.

This issue is SERIOUS. I would not trust a kid like this to babysit.
hide.gif
Face it: He is too immature to operate the vehicle safely. I urge you to hold out on him. Do not give him the 4-wheeler next week or next month. Don't! You are in danger of setting a terrible precident. I know a family that gave in to 4-wheelers, then to dirt bikes... They have replaced TWO CARS. Idiots! They are lucky that their irresponsible son is alive & that he hasn't hurt anyone else. Don't be those parents.

Your son has shown you that he REQUIRES supervision. You would not be "mean" if you limited his future use of the 4-wheeler to times that he is watched by you. You would be wise. Also, feel free to speak about the incident. Too often, we parents use our armchair psychology to convince ourselves that speaking of something is the same as "rubbing it in." Heaven forbid we risk "scarring our kids for Life." One of my kids took something in a store. The child was banned from going to the store for months. Then, said child could only stay by the cart. The kid lost our trust & we made sure that was acknowleged. It required toughness & coordination on the part of DH & I. It was inconvenient. It seemed mean at the time. However, we were able to make a clear point regarding acceptable behavior. Make you point CLEAR, my friend! You will not regret it.

Back
Top Bottom