dubbing

jeannieo

Songster
11 Years
Oct 25, 2008
Collinsville, CT
I've read much stuff about dubbing and I know I have to do it for my old BO Kate Smith because my two young roosters decided that she was the most attractive in the flock and have ripped her comb almost all the way off. Threehorses gave me great advice and I know I have to do it but I am FREAKING OUT!
barnie.gif
hit.gif
barnie.gif
any words of wisdom???

I wouldn't think of it as dubbing, or call it dubbing, in that situation. I would not dub a chicken -- that is something that is done to change the bird's natural appearance due to human preference.

You are not dubbing, you are providing good wound care!

I've never even heard of dubbing - now I have to go research...
barnie.gif
tongue.png
OK - after quick research, I'd have to say the most useful advice I saw was to numb the area with ice water before you do it. Good luck, and sorry your girl has to go through this...
fl.gif
hugs.gif

Last edited:
I HATE dubbing. My FIL has a rooster at my house and he dubbed him a couple of days ago. It was not pretty or nice.
sickbyc.gif
I had to hold the rooster while he did it.
I personally love a nice comb and wattles on a rooster.

I have to agree with everyone else you are just taking care of you chicken. Good Luck!

Actually, I should have spoken more carefully. I still would not dub a bird but did not mean to flame those who do. Personal choice. Required in order to show certain chickens, game birds, I gather. Fortunately I'm not interested in showing, but again, personal preference.

Glad someone found the suggestion to use ice to numb.

OP, how did it go?

Whether you are dubbing for looks, medical purposes, show, etc.. It is still dubbing, dubbing is trimming off the comb, wattles, or earlobes (or all three). Purpose does not matter.

Back
Top Bottom