Duck Addicts Anonymous (DAA)

Do you have too many ducks?

• Total voters
We have 11 adult ducks and 22 eggs in incubator. We started with 7 Rouen just to be fun because we have big pond in back of our rent house. Then 3 got killed by predator and we had 3 males and 1 female. So of course they were driving the female crazy. So we read that it is best to have 3 females for each male so we got 8 more females. One died. So we have 3 males and 8 females. They cone up to eat so they are spoiled. Lol. This is their first year old enough to lay. So we noticed all the eggs that were laid were being eaten right away be crows. So we bought 2 incubators and started gathering the eggs. Hatched 8. A raccoon got in the pen two nights ago and killed all of them but 1. He is all by himself but eggs in incubator should be hatching in a week. He is back in house now. We have 22 eggs in incubator. U are right definitely addictive. Just had to try and save them. Now. We are looking at moving and buying a house. The sad thing is we keep looking for one with a pond to bring the ducks with us. Lol. Definitely addictive.

We have 11 adult ducks and 22 eggs in incubator. We started with 7 Rouen just to be fun because we have big pond in back of our rent house. Then 3 got killed by predator and we had 3 males and 1 female. So of course they were driving the female crazy. So we read that it is best to have 3 females for each male so we got 8 more females. One died. So we have 3 males and 8 females. They cone up to eat so they are spoiled. Lol. This is their first year old enough to lay. So we noticed all the eggs that were laid were being eaten right away be crows. So we bought 2 incubators and started gathering the eggs. Hatched 8. A raccoon got in the pen two nights ago and killed all of them but 1. He is all by himself but eggs in incubator should be hatching in a week. He is back in house now. We have 22 eggs in incubator. U are right definitely addictive. Just had to try and save them. Now. We are looking at moving and buying a house. The sad thing is we keep looking for one with a pond to bring the ducks with us. Lol. Definitely addictive.
Wow, what a journey!

I am sorry to hear a raccoon killed most of your ducks. :hugs A lot of us have had to deal with various predators and have lost ducks to them. If you are looking for help with predator protection, I am sure many of us would be happy to share our experience with dealing with predators.

Good luck on finding a house. It can definitely be challenging. Ducks can also live happily with water tubs and sometime ponds come with their own downsides.

We would love to see pictures of your ducks

I have a question for you duck people. I am creating a covered area for my ducks. I want to get some bird netting for hawk protection. I am looking at getting heavy knotted netting. Is it worth getting 1in netting or will 2 in netting work just as well. I have been trying to Google the difference, and not really finding a good answer. I am mostly just looking to protect against hawks.
I tried a couple different nets, they always sagged really bad on mine and collected snow and leaves, and collapsed multiple times. Now I have “snow fencing” and use a blower to remove leaves and snow, but it has definitely worked much better. Small wild birds and squirrels can usually get through without problems, though I have had the squirrels chew a few openings in corners and such. As a plus, it seemed to be much cheaper too. It’s definitely more durable.
This stuff (I got the green, a little more camoflauged and not so obvious from a distance).
D9D3B640-5E15-4E92-8E6F-77CAE1336327.jpeg

My newest muscovy have fully feathered out. They are fitting in well. Going to need to clip their wings soon
View attachment 3192882View attachment 3192883View attachment 3192888View attachment 3192885View attachment 3192887View attachment 3192886
I tried to break up a squabble with the water hose & was surprised when the five younger ones kept getting under the hose. It was so funny!! I should have known that's not the way to break up a duck fight. They had so much fun. I loved it! Also, it did break it up.

Back
Top Bottom