Duck bath temp in winter?

CandylandRanch

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 6, 2014
Michigan
this is my first winter with ducks and chickens. I had a pond in their run all summer but here in Michigan we drop below zero and the pond had to be closed. But my poor Broomhilda (large pekin duck) is so dirty looking! I want to fill the kiddie pool tomorrow because it's supposed to be around 35 degrees, like a winter heat wave! But what temp should it be? If it's warm won't that make her cold when she gets out? But I don't want it too cold? I'm not even sure what a ducks resting body temp is? She seemed to have had some sort of eye infection last week and I feel like the bath would help to rinse the last of it away. So how warm or cold should I make the pond? Thanks for advice!

Just let the water be cold she'll be fine... I bring my ducks very big bowls of cold water to wash in even when it's well below freezing, ( The bowl is big enough that an adult duck can completely wash in ) and they do fine because the water shouldn't actually be penetrating her feathers she won't really cool herself down very much if at all. You said to her eye was crusty and that she's dirty, does she have access to a large open bucket of water at all times? She really should always be able to fully submerge her head in clean water so that she can wash her nose out and clean her face as well as some other minor feather grooming...

Healthy adult ducks will do fine in very cold/freezing water as long as they can get out and won't get frozen in the water. Ducks need water that they can dip their heads into at all time for their health. Since she is already getting an infection I would bring her inside and give her a luck warm bath to swim in and get an eye wash for her. I can't think of the name off hand but it's for pink eye and found in the antibiotic section near blue Kote at Tractoe supply. Some vitamins would also help her kick it.

Vetericyn eye wash spray is available at Tractor Supply, if needed....it is a good product to keep on hand anyway.

A warm swim in the tub would probably be much appreciated as well!!

Good luck!

I keep a kiddie pool or stock tank filled year round for my ducks. Of course I'm in NC so it doesn't get as cold. If the stock tank is frozen over in the morning I just break the ice so they can get in and away they go. It doesn't bother them at all. Cold water is fine, they are well insulated.

Thanks for all the advice. I ordered the eye rinse it will be here on Monday, and I will fill up the kiddie pool at tap temp I guess. But bring her inside in the bath tub eh!? I thought of that but I wondered it it would be okay since my children use that tub? I mean I could sanitize it after she uses it... That sounds too cute! Do the rest of you guys bring your little buddies in for swims in the house tub?

Just let the water be cold she'll be fine... I bring my ducks very big bowls of cold water to wash in even when it's well below freezing, ( The bowl is big enough that an adult duck can completely wash in ) and they do fine because the water shouldn't actually be penetrating her feathers she won't really cool herself down very much if at all. You said to her eye was crusty and that she's dirty, does she have access to a large open bucket of water at all times? She really should always be able to fully submerge her head in clean water so that she can wash her nose out and clean her face as well as some other minor feather grooming...
she lives in my large chicken coop with one other duck and about 13 chickens. I keep a deep bucket available just for the ducks to they can fully submerge their heads at all times, but I don't have a bath open for them to bathe in right now.

Healthy adult ducks will do fine in very cold/freezing water as long as they can get out and won't get frozen in the water. Ducks need water that they can dip their heads into at all time for their health. Since she is already getting an infection I would bring her inside and give her a luck warm bath to swim in and get an eye wash for her. I can't think of the name off hand but it's for pink eye and found in the antibiotic section near blue Kote at Tractoe supply. Some vitamins would also help her kick it.
Any particular vitamins you would recommend? She lives with chickens so separating water wouldn't be so easy if the vitamins wouldn't be suitable to both kinds of birds..?

Nutri drench works really well but there are others like sav a chick. They are all safe for everyone. If my ducks go swimming inside I just scrub out the tub after with cleanser really well before anyone uses it again.

Back
Top Bottom