duck behavior, bobbing heads?

I posted the same question awhile back, because one of our hens started the head bobbing thing whenever we'd come out to the yard and then she's come up to us, still bobbing her head. Everyone said it meant she was in love with us!

It does seem to be something they do more often when they are happy or excited about something.

I call it the Hussy Head Bob.
My girls will sidle up to a drake and start the aa-aa-aak with the sideways motion of the head. Some ducks are hussier than others, like my Miss Matilda Pekin Duck.
smile.png

When the boys do the up and down in response, I figure it means "Yup Yup Yup Wanna Date"

Yeah my Pekin girl bobs too. She is our only duck so there's no other ducks to tell her how impressive she is but we sure think it's cute. When I go out to feed them or let them out she bobs and quacks and bobs...

My 5 females bob there head when my one male duck approaches them, sometimes they will surround him and all of them bobbing there heads and quacking so loud I wonder if it gets on his nerves cause he will raise his head up high and holler back at them with the fuzz on top of his little head sticking up and then he runs off, lol! But they always follow him.

Last edited:
My two Pekins do the head bob to, right before they look like they're mating,.....however, they both take turns. WTHeck..! They are both 15-16 wks old with no drake feathers to speak of, both are very loud but 1 definately does the quaking. The other does a sort of low pitch whine. So, if they both both bob their heads, while the other one flattens out on the water surface before the other one gets on top.....does that mean we have bi-curious duckys or are they just confused. One of them, the one I always thought was a drake named Doodle looks like he actually knows what he's doing including biting the back of Quakys head. Looks like he's going to drown poor Quaky.:/

At about this age, they start trying things out. Ducks don't seem to stand on formalities, they'll take turns on top, at least for a while at first.

Hormones are kicking in. May be time to set out the free choice oyster shell.

Hi, I have 1m and 4f and they doing the head bobbing to, they are 5-6 monthd old now I have noticed that after the head bobbing start my male mountine my female and is now laying eggs. it's there way of saying I'm ready for love. love is talking.
love.gif
I don't know much but that I do know.
thumbsup.gif

Hi, I have 1m and 4f and they doing the head bobbing to, they are 5-6 monthd old now I have noticed that after the head bobbing start my male mountine my female and is now laying eggs. it's there way of saying I'm ready for love. love is talking.
love.gif
I don't know much but that I do know.
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif
yep .and
welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom